Committee names dean finalists

Presented with the task of selecting a group of viable candidates to replace University of Wisconsin Medical School Dean Philip Farrell, a 22-member search-and-screen committee has decided on four potential successors. The successor would assume the deanship by fall semester next year.

After further interviewing processes and campus visits to take place during the academic year, a final candidate will be chosen by Chancellor John Wiley to relieve Farrell of his current position.

Farrell announced in January his intention to leave the deanship so he can continue his UW career as a faculty member in the Department of Pediatrics and Population Health Sciences.

"I congratulate the search committee on the process that generated excellent candidates," Farrell said. "They're experienced leaders."

Farrell added he has agreed to remain as medical school dean until his successor is selected and can assume the position.

Final candidates selected by the committee are as follows:

Dr. Robert Golden, a 20-year veteran and vice dean of the University of North Carolina's School of Medicine. Golden has also served as a professor and chair of the university's Department of Psychiatry. Serving as vice dean at UNC, Golden is responsible for academic programs at the School of Medicine, as well as faculty development.

Dr. Edward McCabe, a professor and executive chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the UCLA School of Medicine. As a more than 10-year veteran of the university, McCabe is also physician-in-chief at the Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA, co-director of the Center for Society and Genetics and director of the school's Human and Molecular Development Training Program.

Dr. Wiley Souba, Penn State's chairman and surgeon-in-chief of the Department of Surgery in the College of Medicine/Milton S. Hersey Medical Center since 1999. Souba also directs the Hershey Center for Leadership Development at the university and is a professor of cellular and molecular physiology.

Dr. Bonita Stanton, chair of the Department of Pediatrics in the School of Medicine at Wayne State University since 2002. Stanton is also pediatrician-in-chief at the Children's Hospital of Michigan and formerly served as a professor and chair of pediatrics at West Virginia University for three years. From 1988 to 1999, she was a University of Maryland Medical School faculty member.

In a released statement, Wiley said he was pleased with the committee's results.

"The committee has chosen four outstanding, accomplished candidates whose commitment to medical education is impressive," he said. "Their strong qualifications show their ability to lead the school, promote vital research and continue our tradition of clinical excellence."

Chair and official spokesperson of the search-and-screen committee, UW professor of medical history and bioethics Judith Leavitt, was unavailable to comment on the finalists.

Search-and-screen committee member and Academic Program Director at the UW Medical School George Wilding said the finalists all come highly qualified for the position.

"I think they went very well and there were many, many strong candidates," he said of the committee meetings. "I think the committee passed their names on because they were very strong final candidates."

Committee member and UW Chairperson in the School of Medicine Richard Moss added "the committee was quite pleased with the results."