Bazzell earns praise from colleagues

This is the third in a series of articles profiling the administrators of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Promoting diversity on campus, managing the budget, listening to music and mentoring kids are just a few of the activities University of Wisconsin Vice Chancellor for Administration Darrell Bazzell says he enjoys.

With nearly two years as Vice Chancellor under his belt, Bazzell has taken on the responsibility of leading the large student diversity programs on campus, the aspect of the job he said he likes most.

"As a former student of color here, I really recognize the value of the program and I enjoy the interaction I'm able to have with students," Bazzell said.

Managing diversity programs is only a small part of Bazzell's job responsibilities within the university, however.

"I guess chief financial officer would be the better title," he said. "I actually do the roll-up-the-sleeves, down-and-dirty budget work that, typically, vice chancellors don't do."

In addition to leading the campus diversity programs and managing the budget, Bazzell also supervises the university's administrative functions such as, among others, police and housing.

"It keeps me very, very busy," Bazzell said. "But I enjoy being busy."

Provost Peter Spear, who works with Bazzell in the UW administration, praised Bazzell as an incredible asset to the university, citing his experience with state government and his willingness to ask the tough questions.

"He is extremely helpful," Spear said. "He asks the questions that gets at the crux of issues … he'll ask the insightful questions."

While Bazzell said he enjoys the many aspects of his job, he also has many interests outside of work, including music.

"Actually, you may be surprised, but [even] at the age of 47 I listen to a lot of hip-hop," Bazzell said. "[But] if you twisted my arm and said 'Darrell, there's only one kind of music you could listen to,' it would be jazz."

Bazzell admitted to listening to a lot of acts more closely associated with students than administrators.

"The Game was one of the more recent ones I bought," Bazzell said. "And The Black Eyed Peas, I'm a big fan of them."

Bazzell attributed his love for music to his upbringing.

"I grew up in a household where we listened to everything from classical music to folk music to jazz," Bazzell said. "R&B obviously was big in my household, that's kind of my background. I enjoy a wide range of music."

Although both his parents are Wisconsin natives, Bazzell said he "grew up all over the country," attending 11 different schools in three states and the District of Columbia before graduating high school and enrolling at UW.

"My father had gone to school here, and I was fortunate enough to get accepted early in my senior year so for me it was a no-brainer," Bazzell said. "Once I was accepted here this was [definitely] where I wanted to go."

— John Potratz contributed to this report.