City faces State Street construction delays

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]construction1_dm_416[/media-credit]The City of Madison State Street Design Project Oversight Committee discussed reasons behind the delay of State Street construction and initial plans for posting kiosks on State Street's 300 and 400 blocks at a meeting Thursday.

According to Steve Gohde, project engineer for Madison Engineering, construction on Henry Street will likely not be finished by the beginning of the Overture Center of the Arts' new season in November due to a delay in the shipment of some necessary resources.

"We're still waiting on the materials for the granite stone vestibule," Gohde said. "Unfortunately, the shipment of granite is coming from Houston, so we're not really sure when it will arrive."

Gohde said the city is also still waiting on its banners and a philosopher's stone, a theme in the development project.

The firm contracted to design the banners went out of business and the new firm will not return calls, Gohde said.

Ted Crabb, chair of the committee, said an incomplete street would be an eyesore at the opening of the Overture's new season.

"The whole south side will be incomplete," Crabb said. "The reality is that [we] have no idea when it's going to be done."

The committee expressed its desire for the kiosk design on the 300 and 400 blocks to be consistent with State Street themes, such as the philosopher's stone.

"I think we have to look at these kiosks two ways," Crabb said. "The first is the utilitarian way because we're designing something that's going to be used and covered. The second is the aesthetic way; the design should fit in with the rest of the street."

However, Archie Nicolette, a Madison city planner, asserted the main concern for the kiosks should be utility, not form.

"It became clear that the kiosk's primary function is to post bills and notices," Nicolette said. "They are important for student communication. The main purpose of these things is to get as many posters up there as they can, as fast as they can."

Nicolette added that students or other young people would likely tamper with any design that is too elaborate.

"We want to keep any flammable material out of reach," Nicolette said. "Materials have been known to melt. We also have to cover the top if they're hollow because you don't even want to know what people will toss in there."

According to Crabb, the design of and materials used for the kiosks should likely depend on the State Street maintenance crew.

Gohde agreed.

"We're not going to want to use any materials that can be stapled on," Gohde said. "That makes it difficult for maintenance to remove the posters and signs."

Committee member Scott Thornton expressed concerns about the positioning of the kiosks.

"I'm afraid [the kiosks] may interfere with other things like bike racks and sidewalk mobility," Thornton said.

Gohde said kiosk positioning would depend on vending locations, sidewalk-café locations, the placement of utilities and lighting. As soon as city engineers know where there is open space, Gohde will inform the committee of the potential number of kiosks and their positioning.