Police address rising trends in sexual assaults

City of Madison Police Capt. Mary Schauf, accompanied by Chief Noble Wray and other members of the police force, addressed crime issues at a Capital Neighborhood Association monthly program at the Concourse Hotel Thursday night.

Schauf’s presentation focused on the growing problem of sexual assault, to which alcohol may be tied, she said.

Schauf, who commands the central district police of Madison, said this district leads in Madison crime statistics despite having the smallest area and the highest number of police staff, compared to the other four districts.

Schauf also identified sector 403, which includes State Street and much of the University of Wisconsin southeastern campus, as the central district’s big problem. Twenty-five percent of crime occurring in the central district in 2004 came from sector 403.

“Sector 403 is the black hole of the central district when it comes to crime,” she said.

Schauf emphasized the problem was not limited to students, but tied the high crime rate to something many students enjoy.

“The vast majority of the crime in sector 403 is related to alcohol,” Schauf said. “Crime in that area spikes at midnight and at bartime, particularly on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.”

A 45 percent increase in sexual assaults in sector 403 is a concern for the police, she added.

Mary Lou Ricksecker, lieutenant of detectives for the central district, said analysis concludes that alcohol was involved on one side or the other in 80 percent of sexual assault crimes since 1995.

According to Schauf, 59 percent of sexual assault victims were under the influence of alcohol. She added that in 63 percent of sexual assaults, the victim was either an acquaintance of or had a relationship with the assailant.

Fred Mohs, a member of the Capital Neighborhood Association, said he is worried about the prevalence of sexual assault in his neighborhood.

“It’s tragic when women can’t walk five blocks to the Overture Center at night for fear they may be assaulted,” Mohs said.

Schauf explained how the police plan to solve the problem by first improving community education, especially on campus, in regard to safety, alcohol and other nighttime violence.

“We are looking for ways to reach out to students to protect these young women,” Schauf said.

Ricksecker explained another tool, the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, which allows police to keep track of sex offenders in Madison by requiring them to register with the police department. The offender must also tell police where he or she lives and works.

“These sex offenders must comply with the rules. Noncompliance is a felony,” Ricksecker said.

Schauf said the police are working on specific alcohol-related strategies to limit the number of sexual assaults that will most likely require implementation of city policies, she added.

“This problem is not just a police problem, but a community problem,” Schauf said.

Officers also noted sexual assaults significantly increase during special events such as the Mifflin Street Block Party, Halloween and large campus parties.