Bill to restrict underage abortions

After a heated dialogue and numerous failed Democratic amendments, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill aimed at preventing minors from circumventing state laws to obtain abortions.

The Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act was passed Wednesday in the House by a 270-157 margin. The measure establishes a new federal crime threatening fines and jail time for adults and doctors involved in cases where minors go out of state to receive abortions. Minors would be required to give notice to a parent or legal guardian before the abortion is performed. This is meant to stop minors from leaving states that require parental notification to obtain an abortion in a state without this requirement.

Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-WI, supported the provision, noting that a majority of Americans, including Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, supported parental notification before a minor could receive an abortion.

“Medical personnel and others must obtain parental consent before performing routine medical services such as providing aspirin … ” Sensenbrenner said in a statement. “Yet today people other than parents can secretly take children across state lines … without their parents even knowing about it.”

Detractors of the proposed legislation claim it is yet another attempt by the Republican controlled House to phase out abortion rights.

“It really attacks the constitutional right of women to have control over their own bodies,” College Democrats State Chair Awais Khaleel said. “It reflects the stance the Republican Party has taken towards women’s rights.”

House Democrats were angered by Sensenbrenner’s frank rejection of amendments to the bill as efforts to protect sexual predators. Sensenbrenner noted this bill does not apply to life-threatening emergencies in which abortion may be required immediately, or in cases of abuse — provided the doctor reports the allegation.

“It is important to note that nothing in this legislation prevents a minor from obtaining an abortion,” Sensenbrenner said. “This legislation simply protects the right of parents to be given a chance to help their children through difficult times.”

Wisconsin Right to Life representative Barbara Lyons said she believes the legislation is especially important in Wisconsin, suggesting abusers take young women to Illinois for abortions to bypass state law. Wisconsin has parental notification laws.

“Abortion clinics in Illinois entice young girls over state lines into their abortion clinics,” Lyons said. “If this bill goes into law we will see that all Wisconsin’s minors will be protected.”

Khaleel likens this legislation to a Republican initiative to ban the University of Wisconsin from distributing emergency contraceptives after a controversial UHS ad was distributed around campus. In addition, he said he believes it represents a growing gap between Republican Party ideals and actions taken by the Bush administration, which the College Democrats complain restrict states’ rights.

“It shows a real lack of consideration for young women,” Khaleel said. “This bill ignores the classic Republican mantra of states’ rights. The Republican Party is not even representing its own ideals.”

Before it can become law, the bill must be approved by the Senate and signed by President Bush.