State aims to lower vending prices

The state of Wisconsin, in an effort to regain authority over food service delegation and spending, is planning to propose a reevaluation of the current vendor system used across the state, including on the University of Wisconsin campus.

According the Department of Administration spokesperson Scott Larrivee, the state department has decided to review its current operations in hopes of becoming more efficient and cost effective.

Larrivee said the main strategy Wisconsin hopes to execute would involve grouping certain state funded programs together, which he said might procure a larger discount from vendors.

“We are grouping all our buying power together — office supplies, computers, the food service, all of it — and with that hopefully try to drive the prices down,” Larrivee said.

But concerns over the proposal have both students and University Housing staff alike concerned about the effects this will have on the campus food system, such as the cafeterias at Memorial Union and University Housing.

According to Director of Purchasing for University Housing Mike Hardiman, the food service program deals with about 30 different vendors, allowing the students, faculty and staff to enjoy the competitive prices and greater selection.

“This is going to have a real negative impact on price and quality,” Director of University Housing Paul Evans said. “We are very concerned about the current language in the [Reason for Proposal] being proposed. It is not taking into account the quality of products and the ability to compare prices.”

UW senior and Wisconsin Union Directorate Contemporary Issues Committee director Brian Jenks, who is working against the proposal, said he is concerned the state might end up conducting business with only a single vendor. According to Jenks, if this were to happen, prices and quality would be compromised.

“It hurts students because we aren’t able to argue for the best food for the least cost, we have to make do with what the state gives us,” Jenks said.

But Larrivee said the probability of only a single vendor is rare, and no assumptions can be made because the proposal is still young.

“It won’t necessarily be one vendor,” Larrivee said. “We will take our needs to the industry and after that, it is up to the food vendors to respond.”

However, Jenks said he is unconvinced.

“The state is trying to get the UW System and the prisons to be on the same prime vendor, which means all the food comes from the same place … why should students be treated the same as prisoners?” Jenks said.

But Larrivee said Jenks’ argument is untrue and the government has no interest in hurting the students.

“We are trying to incorporate the university’s needs along with the state’s needs,” he said. “Then we will see what vendor can offer the same quality and service as before, just at a better price.”

Both Hardiman and Larrivee agreed that prices for students would most likely not go up.

“We don’t expect students to pay any more than they do now,” Hardiman said.