MPD: Tasers safe, effective police tool

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Taser_AM_416[/media-credit]Madison Police Chief Noble Wray outlined the police department’s Taser policy Monday morning, focusing on how it relates to the public.

The Public Safety Review Board will decide whether or not they will adopt a resolution requesting the police department stop using Tasers and withdraw authorization to purchase the restraining device next Tuesday.

Wray, who opposes the adoption of the resolution, said he believes Tasers have proven to be a safe and effective use of force tool. The police department’s Taser policy articulates situations acceptable for Taser use, he added.

“The bottom line is this: our policy has been reviewed,” Wray said. “We tightened up the policy to give our officers a greater understanding of which situations warrant the use of a Taser.”

MPD Lt. Cameron McLay, who has worked closely with the department in drafting the policy, said his experience has allowed him to “provide a historical perspective on this process.”

According to McLay, the Taser is a defensive tool. The Taser’s purpose, as articulated in the policy, is “to overcome violent or assaultive behavior or its threat.”

Wray said the policy provides guidelines for officers using Tasers without taking away an officer’s ability to make decisions.

“[The policy’s goal] is to provide an officer the ability to perceive a situation and use judgment to act in a way to effectively do their job,” Wray said.

McLay said an officer who uses a Taser in circumstances prohibited by the policy, such as against handcuffed subjects, requires exigent circumstances.

“In those types of situations the officer will have to articulate the reason for using the Taser,” McLay said.

MPD Lt. Victor Wahl reviews Taser use reports, according to Wray.

Wray said the circumstances of the Taser deployment against a Madison Memorial High School student in January, which involved an Educational Resource Officer and a juvenile, would not be grounds for the use of a Taser under the new policy.

However, Wray emphasized the new policy is not a result of the Madison Memorial High School incident. The incident served as a catalyst for local discussion about Tasers, Wray added.

“We wanted to take advantage of the incident to hear from the community,” Wray said. “Our goal was not to dodge it. We wanted to move forward with it.”

Since the event, the police department has taken a series of steps to address community concerns and provide information to the public, according to Wray.

Wray said the department has used media events to share information. Wahl also appeared on public radio and television to discuss Tasers and answer questions. The department responded to several open records requests made by the community and accepted feedback from the community, he added.

“The department is committed to community policing,” Wray said. “We have a responsibility to keep the community involved.”

Wray said he would like to see a uniform statewide Taser policy. The department has submitted a written request to the Wisconsin Department of Justice requesting such a policy.