DMI endorses City Council candidates

Downtown Madison, Inc. endorsed Madison City Council candidates for the first time Tuesday to encourage involvement in the local races this April and to increase awareness of important issues, according to DMI President Susan Schmitz.

“It’s so often that people are apathetic when it comes to electing their local officials,” Schmitz said. “We want to see people get involved in the elections.”

A DMI endorsement, according to Schmitz, means DMI has communicated its support for specific candidates to their members, which include many local and downtown businesses. DMI encourages its members to support these candidates not only ideologically, but also monetarily, Schmitz added.

For District 5, which includes the lakeshore dormitories, DMI has endorsed Ben Moga over Robbie Webber, who currently holds the position. Schmitz said she believes Moga is committed to working with DMI on common projects, while Webber has not been as committed as DMI would like.

Schmitz said Webber has not seen eye to eye with DMI on certain parking issues. Even though she voted for extra parking on Capitol Square, Webber has been an opponent of the Mid-State Street Parking Ramp, according to Schmitz, a project that includes building a parking structure and condominiums next to Pizzeria Uno’s.

Webber said she does not support the State Street lot, but she has not voted against it.

DMI’s support for Ald. Austin King, District 8, which includes the southeast dorms and the College Court area, over Kami Eshraghi is for similar reasons as their support for Moga over Webber.

“We have worked closely with Austin King for two years,” Schmitz said. “Our work with him on several common projects has led [DMI] to believe that we’ll be better served having him for another term.”

Questions remain whether support from DMI, whose members represent many businesses in Madison, will have a large influence on the coming elections or not. Many City Council candidates do not think DMI support will make a large difference for or against their campaigns.

Webber, whose opponent in District 5 is endorsed by DMI, said she is not terribly concerned about the lack of endorsement from DMI.

“It’s disappointing not having their support,” Webber said. “I have worked with them for some time and have supported the efforts of Madison’s businesses. Hopefully I will continue to work with them, even though they are not endorsing me.”

Webber said she has plenty of support from other organizations and does not think the endorsement from one organization will make a difference in the race for District 5.

Although King has been endorsed by DMI, he said he sees the effects of their endorsement in the same way as Webber.

King, whose constituents are mainly students, said he does not think DMI’s endorsement will bring much reassurance for his supporters or sway anyone who does not support him.

“I am pleased to have [DMI’s] endorsement … but I doubt there’s going to be a big effect from it,” King said. “Students who are living in the dorms aren’t really swayed by the DMI.”