Police charge Randle El

University of Wisconsin football player Marcus Randle El, a freshman, was arrested for battery and suspended from practice and competition Monday.

University of Wisconsin police officers responded to a report of a “very loud verbal argument” on the sixth floor of Ogg Hall in the West Tower, according to a release. Police officers discovered Randle El and a female arguing in room 610.

The female had minor injuries the police officers suspect occurred recently, but she did not require immediate medical attention, the release said.

Randle El was arrested by the UW police officers and was transported to the Dane County Jail. He was released for a bail of $500.

Steve Malchow, spokesperson for UW athletics, could not comment on the individual case but said all UW athletes are held to the same disciplinary standards.

“When a student athlete is arrested for a crime of violence, gambling or drugs then they are immediately suspended from practice and game competition,” Malchow said.

This is the second year the athletic department has implemented this policy, Malchow added. Previously, all 32 coaches within the athletic department had different disciplinary policies that were not all consistent.

UW football head coach Barry Alvarez, who also serves as athletic director, and Chancellor John Wiley felt it was time to set standards regarding discipline. Malchow said if a star player commits a crime, it could be difficult for a coach to decide whether the athlete will play in an upcoming game.

“The disciplinary policy takes it out of the coaches’ hands,” Malchow said. “Barry … didn’t think it was appropriate to have that much power.”

According to Malchow, Randle El has the choice of appealing the suspension to the appeals committee. If he does not appeal, or if the committee does not accept his appeal, then Randle El will not be allowed to attend the football team’s spring practice, which starts Friday.

“The suspension would stay into effect until the situation works itself out through the legal channels,” Malchow said.

Randle El is schedule to appear in court March 14 at 10 a.m.