Majestic Theater still iconic in downtown

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]majestic_bf_416[/media-credit]This is the sixth part of a series detailing Madison’s sesquicentennial year and the times and changes the city has seen.

Club Majestic, one of Madison’s historical landmarks and oldest running theaters, has withstood shifts in American entertainment and youth culture from the years of burlesque to the years of bumping and grinding.

“I think it’s very unique to Madison. It’s got a big city theme to it, with the lights on and the dancing and the music … it’s like somewhere in New York or Vegas,” General Manager Joseph Abrams said.

The Majestic Theater was originally built in 1906 as a vaudeville venue featuring live performances. The theater started playing movies for 25 cents per show in 1925.

Its first feature, “Dante’s Inferno,” was described by an old brochure as “the greatest thing of its kind ever shown in Madison.”

Throughout its 100-year span of existence, the building has undergone numerous structural changes. Although the previous owner did minor cosmetic work to the theater, current owners Nicolas and Jim Schiavo worked on major renovations following their purchase of the building in 2002.

Nicolas Schiavo, owner of Café Continental across the street from the club and current co-owner of Club Majestic, said he watched the theater slowly deteriorate. Multiple factors, including a high cost to run projections and low attendance, drove the demise of the Majestic as an art house film theater, according to Nicolas.

“The theater was going under and it was just a shame that this big beautiful space wasn’t being used up,” Nicolas said. “With everything booming in the neighborhood, we thought this should be booming too.”

The Schiavo brothers said the theater-turned-dance-club does not exclusively serve as a club. Next week, for example, Club Majestic will host a private birthday bash for Sen. Russ Feingold and at the end of the month the Wisconsin Film Festival will utilize the club’s remaining movie screen.

“Our mission was to provide a multipurpose venue for the community,” Jim said. “It really is a versatile place.”

In making their million dollar renovations, including the addition of a new sound system and utilities, the Schiavo brothers said they also strove to maintain the original character of the building.

The brothers also left the proscenium arch and ’50s-style entrance and display untouched in order to maintain the theater’s authentic appeal.

Nicolas Schiavo explained the Capitol Square area is part of a “historic district” and Madison groups want to keep it that way. In order to change the outer presentation of a historical structure, Nicolas explained, numerous petitions needed to be obtained.

Now, the theater serves primarily as a dance club with five resident DJs, playing all genres of music including Latin, hip-hop and techno.

Junior Amy Homma, who has attended the dance club several times, described the atmosphere as eclectic. Homma also noted the techno and Latin music cater to a generally older crowd.

Nonetheless, Homma appreciates the club’s unique atmosphere.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Homma said. “I like diversity of bars in Madison, in that you don’t have to always go to the same type of place.”

Club Majestic, located off of Capitol Square on 115 King Street, also features 18-and-up Friday nights.