Superintendent race commences

The incumbent Wisconsin Superintendent Elizabeth Burmaster and the three candidates contesting her for her seat disagree on how to shape state education issues. They are quickly closing in on the state superintendent race, which will decide the educational leader of the state, Feb. 15.

Burmaster and her three challengers, Todd Stelzel, Gregg Underheim and Paul Yvarra, presented their twist on a plan to better Wisconsin’s education programs. Both Yvarra and Stelzel said they did not approve of what Burmaster has done over the past term. Underheim could not be reached for comment.

Stelzel said he disapproved of a few things that were a “reflection” of Burmaster’s leadership. He pointed out Burmaster’s promise to increase funding to state vocational and technical programs, and he said she had made herself “invisible” to the public by not addressing the issue in debates among the three candidates.

Stelzel said another important problem in the state’s educational system is that disabled students cannot read, write or use computers at the same level as other children. This could endanger funding to many schools, according to Stelzel, since the No Child Left Behind Act rates all students’ scores regardless of educational ability.

“Unfortunately, [disabled children] cannot academically punch their way out of a paper bag,” he added. “Why should we count their score against others and have our class grade knocked down to an undesirable score?”

He said the act degrades academically challenged students and deprives schools of finances.

“Because they’re two different worlds, let’s treat them like two different worlds,” he said.

Stelzel also said the state needs to fully fund the promised 66 percent of public education, instead of the current 63.7 percent.

But Burmaster said she has worked closely with federal programs to keep funding to student programs, including technical and vocational ones.

In addition, Burmaster painted a more positive picture of education. She said third-grade literacy has steadily risen during her term and that her main goal is to invest in the early, critical years of student achievement.

Burmaster also said she is highly qualified for a second term as superintendent.

“I ask the state to judge me on my record,” she said.

Burmaster has 30 years of teaching experience and has served at her current position for four years.

However, Yvarra said Burmaster did not have any views or direction.

“It is very hard to disapprove of what she’s done because she hasn’t done anything, except to maintain the status quo,” he said.

All three challengers for the superintendent seat are experienced in Wisconsin school systems.

Yvarra currently serves as a UW-Whitewater professor and coordinator of the school’s educational administration program, Stelzel is an industrial arts teacher in the Wisconsin Heights school district and Underheim is a state representative, R-Oshkosh, and a former high school teacher.