UW groups plan aid for tsunami victims

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]tsumani_BF_400[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin International Student Services held a meeting with representatives from all international-student organizations Wednesday evening to brainstorm ideas to provide relief for victims of the Dec. 23 Asian tsunami disaster.

Approximately 40 students representing 20 student organizations attended the meeting.

Organizations, many of which have already begun their own individual fundraising programs on campus, discussed possibilities for the organizations to work together in the effort to aid tsunami victims.

A representative from the Chinese Undergraduate Student Association (CUSA) said it was important for student organizations to create a collaborative effort instead of each group doing its own fundraising. The representative said this is because people may become irritated after being asked for donations several times.

Ideas proposed by the Indian Graduate Student Association (IGSA) included gathering several student organizations to have a teaching session about the disaster and how the countries were affected. The session would include a place for students to donate money to victims.

A CUSA representative suggested university communications inform UW students about international students who are still missing because when students know peers are missing, they may be more likely to help.

Some of the representatives said they realized not all UW students care about this issue and are willing to help, but they think entertainment-based fundraising, although it has nothing to do with the disaster, would be effective to raise a larger amount of revenue.

A representative from AIESEC, which contributes aid to developing countries, suggested organizing a football tournament at Camp Randall. The tournament would include charging money for each team to join the tournament, and also charge an entrance fee to the spectators.

A representative from International Student Volunteers proposed a date auction involving a local celebrity, such as a campus athlete. The representative stated it would be a good way to bring together people from different backgrounds and collect money.

Other organizations suggested making an existing event, such as Intercultural Night, larger to draw in more crowds and possibly charge an admission fee.

Alison Reynolds, a representative from Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, said although many kinds of fundraising ideas are welcome, the focus of this effort is to raise money.

“[The victims] need money the most. Right now, for example, they are in need of clean water and water tanks,” Reynolds said.

A conclusion was not determined at the meeting. Director of ISS, Pap Sarr, said the next step is to research possible event locations. Sarr added he would contact the Wisconsin Union about potentially having campus-building fees waived so money raised can go entirely to tsunami victims.

Sarr said an event time frame has not been determined, but it is never too late to help the victims.

“This problem is not going to be solved overnight. Any help is welcome anytime,” he added.

The most recent information about the fundraising effort and how students can help will be posted on www.news.wisc.edu/tsunami.