Rally aims to increase awareness of gay marriage rights

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]GayMarriage2_dm_400[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin student members of the Civil Marriage Equality Coalition held a rally on Library Mall Saturday afternoon to stop the proposed Wisconsin constitution amendment that would ban same-sex marriage.

In the rally, CMEC invited three speakers to speak about the amendment and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender marriage rights. Approximately 30 people attended to listen to the speakers.

UW students and Madison residents who are members of CMEC also stood outside Memorial Library and the Pres House to ask passing students to sign petitions.

The rally ended with a march down State Street.

Terry Schmidt, a UW senior and member of CMEC, said the purpose of the rally was to increase students’ awareness of the state legislation and to encourage Wisconsin legislators to vote against the amendment that would ban same-sex marriage, domestic partnerships and civil unions.

“The state congress is going to vote in January 2005 whether or not same-sex marriage is outlawed. If they pass the amendment, the vote will go to referendum,” Schmidt said. “We want to stop it because [same-sex marriage] is not something we need to vote, it is a civil right. You cannot just put civil rights up for a vote.”

A main focus of the rally was to encourage students to sign petitions that will be sent to the state legislators and to increase students’ awareness of LGBT marriage issues.

Schmidt said not all UW students are likely to support same-sex marriage, but said the movement is not only about marriage, but also about the struggle for civil rights.

“We are not trying to convince [people who disagree with LGBT marriage] that same-sex marriage is [good], but discriminating people from their civil rights is wrong,” she said. “[Civil rights] are fundamental for democracy.”

Lindsey Saunders, a member of CMEC, said the proposed amendment would not only take away LGBT marriage rights, but also threaten the rights that same-sex couples have. These rights include claiming inheritance and social security benefits and adoption, according to Saunders.

“The amendment goes really far. It hurts [LGBT] families,” she said. “If one partner dies, the other cannot get the inheritance, and they cannot claim [properties that belonged to their partners]. In extreme cases, they may be homeless.”

Brooke Davis, a UW senior who listened to the speakers during the rally, said although she is not involved in this issue, she is sympathetic and supports the movement.

“I think it is awful that they will ban gay marriage,” she said.

Davis added she did not mind spending time on Library Mall for the rally despite the cold weather and impending final exams.

“This is more important than studying for finals. I always learn something from a rally,” she said, adding she hopes her presence Saturday will contribute to change, citing “power by numbers.”