Dorm officials to meet

[media-credit name=’Kristen Petruzzi’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]dorm_400[/media-credit]With the Park Street residence hall construction already underway, the University of Wisconsin is at the drawing board again. UW is pushing forward with the most ambitious dorm construction plan since the 1980s.

This time around, there is a new dormitory in the works: the 600-bed Dayton Street dorm.

Tonight at 6:30 p.m. in room C-6 of Gordon Commons, city and university officials — along with architects and consultants for the project — will host a neighborhood information meeting about the creation of the new dormitory.

“It’s an information meeting for the public. This is some people’s first chance to hear about the new dorm projects,” Paul Evans, director of University Housing, said.

This portion of the project also features the creation of the 425-bed North Park Street dorm currently under construction, the demolition of Ogg Hall and the reconstruction of that space to accommodate sand volleyball and basketball courts and green space.

“The intent of the meeting is a requirement to have a public meeting to give input on project,” Evans said. “It’s really a chance for people who haven’t been involved in [the] project to make some comments and see what the plans are.”

According to Evans, the total project, including the demolition of the Ogg twin towers, the building of both dormitories and the improvement of the East Pedestrian Mall, will run approximately $35.9 million.

When completed in August 2007, the Dayton Street residence hall, along with the Park Street dorm, will house the students who would have lived in Ogg Hall.

The dorm construction falls within Ald. Mike Verveer’s District 4, and he is helping to sponsor the community discussion.

“We hope to answer questions about this new project,” Verveer said. “Myself, as well as representatives from UW, greatly value the input of students.”

Student input on the project has so far been minimal throughout the conception of the plan.

The first floor of the new dorm will feature academic and other residential learning community support space with a technology center, classroom, tutoring, advising and faculty offices, according to the University Residence Halls & Food Service Master Plan.

There will also be general program space, laundry, study space, hall and division offices.

The Dayton Street dorm will have approximately nine students sharing a restroom, while the Park Street dorm will house four to five students per bathroom.

There is also covered moped and bicycle parking in the plan.

Evans said the rooms in the Park Street dorm will be “slightly bigger” than the Dayton dorms.

“These dorms are new, so that alone is [attractive],” Evans said. “The location is still really close to campus, students seem to like this area and there’s easy access to things.”

The Dayton Street dorm is located at the corner on the corner of West Dayton Street and North Park Street. Green space and sand volleyball courts are currently occupying the location of the future residence hall.

There is no scheduled date for the construction of the Dayton Street dorm.

The proposal must be passed by the city’s Urban Design Commission and the Plan Commission. If the conceptual passes through city committees quickly, it could be ready for a final approval vote from the City Council in January 2005.