Decorations to help Capitol’s restoration

Unlike its Furby, Tickle Me Elmo and Cabbage Patch Kids predecessors, the latest holiday shopping craze — a golden Christmas ornament likeness of the Wisconsin State Capitol — will actually contribute to the restoration of the historic building.

Proceeds from sales of the $15 ornament will go to the State Capitol Restoration Fund, which offers individuals a venue for contributing funds to maintain the statehouse. Retailers who bought the item agreed to return at least three dollars in profit for the fund and some will return the full $6.

The ornament was the brainchild of former state legislator, revenue secretary and treasurer Cate Zeuske, the wife of Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo. She said she thought this would seem like a “perfect Wisconsin project” after the wife of the speaker of the Texas House of Representatives shared ideas about a similar program at the Texas Capitol building.

Zeuske said she is extremely pleased with the demand for the ornaments, the initial 1,000 of which sold out in about three days. She added people were interested in the ornaments because of its realistic portrayal of the “most beautiful Capitol building in the country.”

“Us Wisconsinites, we’re very proud that our Capitol is as beautiful as it is,” Zeuske said.

The building has already gone through a decade-long renovation totaling $145 million, but the donations would help recover some of the Capitol’s original furniture that has gone into private hands, Zeuske added.

Michael Huckaby, owner of Capitol Deli & Espresso Bar in the basement of the statehouse, has exhausted his supply of ornaments and is awaiting a second batch of 100.

Huckaby said the wanted item sold out in less than a week in almost all Madison retailers.

“People go wild over it,” he said of the ornament, adding he did not think interest would soon wane. “People are collectors by nature, especially when they find something they like.”

He also said the success of the ornament could be attributed to successful marketing efforts.

A press conference before Thanksgiving geared toward holiday sales and generous media coverage contributed to the interest in the Christmas memorabilia, according to Zeuske. She said she expects the ornaments to generate approximately $10,000.

Zeuske added she hoped word of her project would spread to other organizations that would want to find a way to raise money for the Capitol.

Zeuske said another 1,500 of the decorations will arrive soon because customers devoured the first shipment of 1,000.

“They’re selling like hotcakes,” she said.

Because of this, Zeuske said she would start selling the 2005 ornament much earlier next year.

Some government watchdogs have speculated Zeuske’s efforts are a clever political move to aid her husband’s potential run for governor in 2006.

But Zeuske said her great grandfather’s term in the Legislature in the building and her own 23-year involvement was her motivation behind the project.

“I have spent more time in that Capitol than any other place in my life, and I’ve always been involved in its historical preservation,” she said.