Wisconsin braces for deficit

Per Gov. Jim Doyle’s request, state agencies submitted their 10 percent reduced budget plans to the Department of Administration earlier this week. Due to the state’s projected $1.5 billion deficit, Doyle requested state departments look for ways to reduce costs.

“The agencies were asked to go through line by line and find possible savings that would reduce the size and cost of state government,” Melanie Fonder, spokesperson for the governor, said. “He will take these ideas and look at them closely as he puts together his budget.”

If all budgets were approved, the state would save $150 million and lose no less than 1,400 state jobs over the next two years, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Not all agencies were ready and willing to make the cuts, however, as reductions sometimes meant they had to part with important elements of their infrastructures. The reductions could potentially result in the layoff of important staff members, the closure of a downtown museum and perhaps even impact enrollment rates for the University of Wisconsin system.

Several state agencies submitted letters to the governor stating there was no way to reduce their department’s budget without severely limiting what they are able to accomplish.

The State Elections Board does not believe any cuts can be made because that would take away their ability to regulate campaign finance and properly follow election procedures. According to a letter submitted by executive director Kevin Kennedy, the state has to choose between reducing the agency’s ability to regulate campaign finance and waiving the 10 percent reduction requirement.

Though it seems many agencies are having difficulties with the cuts, Fonder points out most of the agencies having trouble are non-cabinet agencies.

“For the most part, agencies did a good job of working hard and finding potential savings,” Fonder said.

Among the plans submitted, the Department of Transportation is one of the most drastic. It would restructure the system and save the state $47.9 million. The plan entails the increase of several fees, including vehicle registration fees. It also involves plans to make the Department of Motor Vehicles more efficient by consolidating the state into five regions and making the processes occurring at the DMV more fluid. Part of the plan would provide computers instead of employees to help customers.

Another plan making waves is the State Historical Society plan, which would involve closing down the Historical Museum on the Capital Square. The society, crippled by cuts in years past, found no way to keep the museum open and meet the 10 percent budget cut.

“We are bare bones right now,” Bob Granflaten, public information officer for the Historical Society, said after the society’s board approved the budget proposal.

Also facing large cuts is the Department of Health and Family Services, which plans to eliminate 247 positions over the next four years.

Though difficult, Doyle finds it necessary for agencies to make these cuts in order to decrease the state deficit.

“This is part of a long process that is the result of decades of overspending,” Fonder said.