Regents approve increases

After deliberating Thursday, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents decided Friday to recommend the state increase compensation for UW System faculty, staff and academic leaders.

The regents said this was crucial to compete with other universities.

“I hope we have realized that it is disastrous to let people fall behind,” Regent Mark Bradley of Wausau said.

Friday’s resolution also recommended an additional 2 percent pay plan increase for each year in the 2005-07 biennium, bringing the total to 5 percent due to an earlier biennial budget request. Though these increases affect tuition later, regents did not adjust tuition levels Friday.

Student Regent Beth Richlen said it was the regents’ responsibility to communicate UW’s needs to the state.

“This is not a tuition increase now,” she said. “And if it were, I probably wouldn’t vote for it, even though our faculty deserve it.”

Other regents felt the resolution was crucial for the UW System to remain competitive with other state universities.

Offering competitive salaries is vitally important to recruiting and retaining high-quality faculty, said Regent Roger Axtell of Janesville, adding: “there is no doubt that there are compounding and negative implications when we lose faculty.”

Another resolution, backed by Richelin, reaffirmed the board’s commitment to its previous budget request in October. The proposal entailed a “hold harmless” financial aid package and a 4.3 percent tuition increase should the state grant a 7.2 percent increase in support.

Madison students testified Thursday and demonstrated Friday to guarantee the board’s awareness of students’ opposition to the decision.

“If you want to give salaries, we should first think about the faculty and [teaching assistants], so students can actually get the classes they need,” Lauren Woods, UW student, said.

Regent President Toby Marcovich of Superior said the board understood the students’ point of view, but it was also key to address the Governor and Legislature with these concerns, as they are responsible for allocating state funding to the UW System.

President of the Wisconsin Technology Council Tom Still also addressed the board Friday. Still spoke of the importance of protecting research and development at universities, noting research and development activities at the UW System contribute $883 million to Wisconsin’s economy every year.

“As the student just described, you see here at the university a clash of priorities and a clash of resources,” Still said. “All of this goes back to the fact that Wisconsin needs a growing economy to make sure all of these priorities are supported.”

According to Still, the UW System has been falling behind other Big Ten universities in spending on higher education. California’s recent approval of investment in stem-cell research may also have an affect on research activity in Wisconsin.

“Over time, it is potentially a threat to what is happening here,” Still said. “If California decides to go on a shopping trip, guess where they’re going to go for talent?”

Other regents faced possible political questions and asked how a Taxpayer Bill of Rights might affect the UW System’s goals.

“Personally, while we all want to see public dollars managed and spending kept in check, TABOR seems to be a one-size-fits-all,” Still said. “I don’t believe TABOR’s the answer.”