Student battles for assembly seat

Saying the state Capitol has ignored the needs of students for too long, University of Wisconsin junior James Block is running for a seat in the state Assembly in this year's election.

Block, a Republican, is challenging incumbent Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, of District 78, an area encompassing the entire Isthmus and other selected regions of Madison.

A native of the Philippines, Block said he believes university students have had to bear too heavy of a financial burden to attend college. He blames the state legislature for the escalating costs.

"When I came here, I saw how beautiful Madison is but then you see the negative things going on — things we can fix, and education is No. 1," Block said. "The state Assembly is a lot of older middle-aged adults — nobody is looking out for young adult issues."

During a rally last week, Block accused Pocan of turning his back to the need to lower education costs.

"Since my opponent Mark Pocan has taken office, tuition has skyrocketed out of proportion," Block said, standing in front of the tuition drop-box outside the Peterson Building.

"It costs $6,478 a year for a Wisconsin resident to attend UW-Madison. What will it cost next year?" Block questioned. "Mr. Pocan is so out of touch with the rising costs, Mark Pocan probably doesn't realize how much a gallon of milk costs."

Block also recognized a need for Wisconsin to focus on initiatives aimed at retaining college students once they graduate. Namely, he wants to reverse the so-called "brain-drain" — the inability of the state to maintain a young, highly-educated workforce.

"We have to compete as a state and people forget that," Block said. "It's the duty of government to help spur job creation, set standards to encourage job growth, and not hinder growth."

Block announced his candidacy in July after noticing Pocan was running unopposed. Block garnered more than 25 percent of the vote in the primary and has qualified for more than $5,000 in public financing.

In a phone interview, Pocan said his record reveals a strong awareness for the need to keep a college education affordable. He serves on the Assembly's Committee on Colleges and Universities and has fought to maintain accessibility to higher education in the face of the state's budget deficit.

"The budget cut that happened — 250 million — a number of us objected to that and we did our best to soften the blow," said Pocan, who was first elected to the Assembly in 1998. "I was just appointed to the Joint Committee on Finance, and one of my top priorities is higher education, both the UW System and the tech school system. This year I think you will find the UW will be in better shape, even with the budget deficit."

Although he admitted he has not done much campaigning in the lead-up to November, Pocan said he maintains constant contact with his district through a newsletter and surveys mailed to every constituent household. Through these efforts he said he has learned his district is highly liberal and therefore approaches the upcoming election with a high level of confidence.

"It's far more likely a hurricane from Florida will sweep up through Wisconsin than a Republican will be elected in this district, because it's just very progressive," Pocan said.