Smoking ban may encourage smokers to quit

In wake of the recent Madison smoking ban for downtown bars and drinking establishments, organizations such as the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line are setting hopes in the ban leading to more smokers ultimately kicking the habit.

While passed with intentions of protecting the health of workers and patrons, questions are surfacing as to whether passing the ban will encourage people to quit smoking as well.

Sara Kanawati, University of Wisconsin senior, does not believe prohibiting smoking in Madison bars will affect the number of smokers in the city.

“If anything, it will decrease the number of people who only smoke while drinking, but it won’t change the number of people who are addicted,” she said.

Jody Fasset, a UW junior and smoker, agreed.

“Social smokers will not leave their friends and go outside to smoke, but people who actually smoke all the time will still continue to smoke,” she said.

Even though Madison is the first city in the state to support the smoking ban, Wisconsin residents can receive encouragement to quit smoking from the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line.

The hotline allows people who plan to quit smoking or who are just thinking about quitting to call, free of charge, and receive information.

Each caller is provided with a package of printed materials that include tips and advice on quitting. The caller then speaks with a tobacco counselor.

Manuel Ruiz, a screener for the quit line, explained how the tobacco counselor helps potential quitters.

“The tobacco counselor isolates their habits and talks to them about the quitting process,” he said. “Counselors also have community resources for the area and can tell them where to go to take classes.”

Ruiz said callers can also receive referrals for products that will assist them during the quitting process such as a pill called Zyban or nicotine patches.

The Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line is coordinated by the UW Medical School Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention (UW-CTRI) and their website provides information including self-help materials and fact sheets.

According to the quit line’s website, about 80 percent of current smokers in Wisconsin would like to quit.

With the passing of the smoking ban and with help from organizations such as the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line, many Wisconsinites feel there is a building prerogative among some to end tobacco use in public and at home.

People who are interested in quitting smoking can call the Quit Line, 1-877-270-STOP, Monday through Sunday.