On the scene of the TAA strike

Students at the University of Wisconsin and Madison residents alike are accustomed to protests, strikes and marches. However, rarely does an undergraduate walk up to a campus building to see their teaching assistant picketing and screaming “You don’t have to see our side … do not cross the picket lines!”

Many turned away and walked home, many never left home and a select few braved the picket lines and went into the few classes still being held at their regularly scheduled times and venues.

State Street maintained its usual packed atmosphere Tuesday and Wednesday. But a roar of TA chants accompanied by drums filled the air near Humanities and Bascom Hill while the typical hoard of students on its way to class was absent.

Although a sea of red and white was visible, it was not the ordinary demonstration of Wisconsin spirit … this was exactly the opposite. TAs were sporting red, white and black T-shirts, signs and even pom-poms in opposition to failed contract negotiations with the state and university.

After weeks of failed contract talks and threats of striking, the days of the much-awaited TA walkouts have come and gone. However, with it all said and done, one question ultimately remains: Was it worth it?

Many TAs have said repeatedly over the past few weeks that “It’s all about the students.”

But in the eyes of many, this strike, regardless of purpose, ultimately pitted graduate students against undergraduate students in what turned into a small group of undergraduates trekking through campus and a large number of graduate students circling buildings with signs and chanting loudly at the undergraduates who tried to cross picket lines.

Graduates students felt frustrated with undergraduate students who attempted to cross the picket lines, and undergraduates felt equally frustrated at being verbally attacked when they needed or wanted to attend a class in a picketed building.

In an event that was promised to be “peaceful and non-confrontational” by Provost Peter Spear, TAs strove for “intimidating.” The stark differences between the two left many undergraduates just that — intimidated.

And perhaps the most interesting dynamic is that neither the TAs nor the undergrads were necessarily wrong … it is all merely to say that regardless of purpose … regardless of claim … these were two days to remember and perhaps there were slight imperfections in the situation.

Perhaps what sums this all up the best is a comment heard by a passerby on Bascom Hill Tuesday.

“Nobody says TAs don’t have the right to enjoy life,” she said.

Was that what these two days were to many students … a mid-week weekend?

The purpose is there, the support is there and the opposition is there. Regardless of one’s stance, it is necessary to view the situation as a whole and the strength and solidarity taken by the TAs.

After two days of TAA festivities, many walk away with a mix of awe and slight confusion. Regardless, it is now Thursday and all classes resume to their regularly scheduled times and venues.

And some thought Madison had seen it all …