Not crossing the line

It’s just after 9 a.m. Tuesday morning, and the sun is shining brightly despite a brisk chill in the air. On a campus that would normally be groggily awakening at this early hour, there is a flurry of noise and activity. Groups of people swarm in front of academic buildings, touting brightly colored signs as they boisterously sing and chant.

And while on any other day University of Wisconsin freshman Jon Patberg would find himself heading up Bascom Hill to go to class, this morning he came to campus with other intentions. Today he plans on devoting his time and energy to showing his full support for the UW Teaching Assistants’ Association, which began a two-day walkout at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday in response to failed contract negotiations with the state and university.

Arriving on campus at 8:30 a.m. with several other students, Patberg grabs a sign and joins the picket line circling outside the entrance to North Hall, located on the top of Bascom Hill. Wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt and jeans, he waves a sign reading “The University works because the TAs do!” As he and the other members of the picket line energetically parade back and forth, they rhythmically chant, “Hey, hey, ho, ho — the state is moving mighty slow!”

While some UW students decided to attend class despite the strikes, Patberg said that was something he would not do, even if it meant skipping class. He said he strongly feels the TAA deserves a better contract, and he did not want to undermine their cause.

“I just believe that the TAs do a lot more work than they get paid for,” Patberg said.

While Patberg has been active in other movements, he said this was the first time he has actively shown his support for the TAA.

“It’s been a lot of fun. It’s a totally new experience for me. It’s probably more educational than anything I could have done in a classroom,” Patberg said.

Patberg also said while he chose to join the picket lines, he does not hold anything against students who were less active, so long as they did not cross picket lines to go to class.

“I just felt like instead of having a passive role, I wanted to take an active role,” Patberg said.