Drinking incidents spark caution at UW campus

Weeks after an incident in which a University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse student drowned in the Mississippi River following a night of alcohol consumption with friends, many students and officials at UW-Madison say prevention measures are key in averting a similar incident on Madison’s isthmus.

“In college, drinking is such an accepted aspect of social life that its dangers are often overlooked and underestimated,” UW sophomore Dan Pleski said.

Pleski said although a campus setting lowers the risk of drinking and driving, other dangers that can stem from excessive drinking, such as alcoholism and depression, still affect students.

Questions have also been raised about whether it is the job of the city and campus police to keep a close watch on students leaving bars or if it is the responsibility of the individuals and those they go out with to maintain their safety.

UW Dean of Students LuoLuo Hong said there is only so much law enforcement can do in terms of prevention, and it must be a shared responsibility between students and officials.

Pleski agreed.

“Both play an integral role, but in general I think the police do a good job of roaming the streets,” Pleski said.

While both agreed police must do their part, it seemed clear the friends students drink with are key in making sure students arrive home safely.

“I would hope that they take the time to watch out for each other before something happens. Someone intervening could make the difference,” Hong said.

She said it is important for friends who are drinking together to let one another know when they think they have had too much, especially if it looks like they might wander off alone.

Hong said choices students make early on in their college careers are crucial to maintaining a safe environment on campus. She said programs campus officials are currently engaged in to reduce high-risk drinking are important, including those offered at SOAR, freshmen orientation.

“[We’re] trying to get the message out early of the potential risks if students make the choice to drink,” Hong said.

Hong pointed out not all UW students drink, but those who do usually do not put themselves in risky situations.

“Most of our students who choose to drink don’t make the kinds of choices that put them at risk,” she said.

While it is unclear whether UW is as likely to have dangerous incidents occur as other universities, many students agree the risks become higher as more alcohol is involved.

“I think it is well known that Madison has a reputation as being a big party school where a lot of binge-drinking occurs,” Pleski said.

With the Mifflin Street Block Party in the works for this weekend, students and officials will get the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to work together to prevent this reputation from getting out of hand.

“With all the dangers of going out, don’t forget the true meaning of partying; to be smart, safe but most importantly, to have fun,” Pleski said.