A difficult decision for some

As University of Wisconsin senior Corey Leischer approaches a Teaching Assistants’ Association information table in front of the Social Sciences building Tuesday, her face conveys a mixture of concern and agitation.

She tells TAA member Melissa Thompson, one of several individuals manning the table, that she did not expect TAs to be picketing buildings such as Social Sciences. Instead, Leischer said she thought the TAs would only be picketing near the Humanities building and Library Mall.

As Thompson slowly shakes her head and explains that the picket lines are set up all over campus, Leischer finds herself in a dilemma. She tells Thompson that although she fully supports the TAA and does not want to cross the picket line, her professor is still holding class. And, she says, it is a class she cannot afford to miss because her professor will be taking attendance and discussing the final. Unprepared to find a picket line in front of her class building, Leischer says she isn’t sure what she should do.

Thompson nods in understanding as she listens to Leischer’s situation. Many UW undergraduate students found themselves in similar situations of not wanting to cross picket lines yet having classes they must attend.

“We don’t want to guilt people by saying ‘You have to take a penalty in one of your classes because we want health care,'” Thompson said, while behind her an energetic group of picketers circle in front of the entrance to the Social Sciences building, waving signs and loudly chanting, “TAA on strike, don’t cross!”

But Thompson offers Leischer a solution. On the table, which is otherwise filled with signs and brochures, is a roll of red tape. Thompson tells Leischer she can wear a band of red tape on her arm symbolizing that she supports the TAA but must enter the building. Thompson said anyone supporting the TAA can wear the red armbands, and individuals wearing the armbands can approach the strike captain at each picket line and they will escort the individual across the line. This, Thompson said, is one way to escape the booing and chanting those crossing the picket line will otherwise face.

Later Leischer stands at the top of Bascom Hill, further frustrated. She said other classmates notified her that their professor sent out a late e-mail telling students to meet outside. As the group waits for their class, they discuss the disorganization that has plagued their day thus far.

“I totally support the TAA. But it just sucks that the chancellor is still saying to go to class,” Leischer said.

Yang Xiong, a UW sophomore, is also in Leischer’s class. She said she didn’t get her professor’s last-minute e-mail, so she crossed the picket line without an armband. She said she was booed and chanted at as she crossed.

“It was really intimidating. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go or not,” Xiong said.

But James Hutchins, the strike captain for the Social Sciences picket, said the picket lines are meant to be intimidating. As people approach the picket line, he walks out to talk to them before they reach the picket line and explains the situation so the individual can make an informed decision.

“Hopefully people are staying away because they support the TAA. We do ask people to respect and support the picket line,” Hutchins said.