University guarantees housing choices to all students

The University of Wisconsin is responding to a range of recent allegations from Madison property owner Steve Brown by citing the necessity for the construction of several new housing developments.

Currently, UW plans to tear down Ogg Hall and replace it with two new residence halls on Dayton Street and Park Street. Additionally, the university intends to build public housing with a 700-person capacity at the present University Square location.

Paul Evans, Director of University Housing, said the university began renovating residence halls in 1996. Ogg, however, was a problematic building for the university since 1964 because of its structure.

“[The] structure of Ogg is not suited to meeting people,” Evans said in an exclusive interview. “We knew something had to be done with Ogg. [We] didn’t want to stick $8 million into Ogg Hall [renovations].”

Instead, the university is set to replace the 900-person building with two smaller residence halls that will house a comparable number of residents.

Steve Brown has criticized the university’s decision to build a third structure at University Square. Brown insists there is not a demonstrated demand that justifies the construction of a 700-person public housing structure.

The university, however, refutes Brown’s claim.

Evans maintained that the university turns away about 700 students annually whom they cannot house in the residence halls. He believes this is legitimate evidence for the creation of the University Square building.

“Based on the waiting list, we think it is needed,” Evans said. “[Steve Brown] is defining demand as number of beds. That’s not demand for me. There are already 700 [students] on a waiting list for next fall.”

Rather than refusing more than 700 students per year and forcing them to seek housing alternatives in private residences, Evans thinks every first-year student should be guaranteed public housing.

“It is important to guarantee housing for all first-year students. It’s important that students make a choice,” Evans said.

While Brown recently alleged that if there are vacancies in the University Square development, the university could require students to live on-campus during their first year. However, Evans assured this was not a possibility.

“Unlike other schools, we don’t require first-year students to live on campus. This is not something we’re going to do,” Evans said, noting his priority in guaranteeing students the right to choose where they wish to live.

Brown has also claimed that units in the new residence halls will send university housing prices soaring. Although it will cost students more to live in the new halls compared to the older residence halls, Evans assured housing rates for a double room would not exceed $5,000.

A comparable suite in Brown’s private residence hall, The Statesider, presently costs $9,795.

In spite of Brown’s claim that the construction of new residence halls will negatively affect students, Evans pointed out that students who lived in university housing during fall 2003 had an average GPA of 3.16. Those who lived off campus had an average GPA of 2.81.

“This is consistent with national statistics,” Evans said.

The university’s plan for the next 15 years also includes renovations in the food-service buildings, including a remodeling of residence hall menus and an expansion of the recreational area and basketball courts behind Sellery Hall.