Debate continues over new dorm

The debate over whether to build a new residence hall continued Monday as Paul Evans, director of University Housing, and Steve Brown, owner of several private residence halls and apartments in the downtown area, discussed the issues in front of Madison city officials.

University Housing has proposed a plan to tear down Ogg Hall and replace the open space with a recreation area for students. UW would build new residence halls for 720 to 850 students in other locations, including Park Street, Dayton Street and the current site of University Square.

The University Square site would include a high-rise residence hall with two floors of retail space that would include room for University Health Services, the Bursar’s Office and the financial-aid office, Evans said.

Brown, who opposes the construction, said, “It is going to increase cost to students, it will have an impact on the housing market downtown, and it is not necessary.”

“They have not really presented any data or support or evidence of market studies or anything else to support what they are doing,” Brown said.

In a survey conducted by Brown, nearly 70 percent of adults in Wisconsin opposed the development.

Evans said there are at least 700 students on the waiting list for UW housing each year and said the additional housing will accommodate this demand.

“We think there are a lot of first-year students who would like to live on campus and take advantage of our programs and service who do not have that choice because we do not have enough room,” Evans said. “We want to satisfy that demand.”

University Housing generally holds approximately three-fourths of incoming freshmen, but by sophomore year, only one-fourth of those students remain in UW housing, Evans said.

“We have no plans and no interest in increasing our returning resident students,” Evans said. “What we are focusing our attention on … is the impression on the first-year students.”

Evans said UW is in competition with other Big Ten schools like Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois, who guarantee all incoming students on-campus housing if they so choose.

With the addition of new residence halls, UW will be able to make the same claim, Evans said, adding this may be a factor for students selecting a college.

Brown also criticized University Housing for not including students in the plans for a new residence hall.

Evans, however, said there have been 12 meetings with a student advisory board since 2003 asking for input.

UW junior Lori Jagielski is in support of the new residence halls, especially at the University Square location.

“From my experience, there is a demand for university-sponsored housing,” Jagielski said. “There were students living in our den when I was in the dorms; they did not even have enough dorms for everyone.”

Jagielski added it would be “very convenient” for UHS to be located near University Square, since students living in residence halls will have a shorter trip to the health facility when already sick.