Smoking ban in bars may have positive effect for establishments

Data researched by the Economic Development Commission found the effects of a smoking ban on bars did not harm establishments in other cities around the country that have already imposed a ban on smoking.

“There was a lot of research done about how the ban worked in other cities,” head of the commission, Patricia Jenkins, said “The results are overwhelmingly positive.”

Jenkins said the group studied the economic effects a smoking ban had on cities, such as New York City and El Paso, Texas. She said she thinks more people will go to establishments that presently allow patrons to smoke after the ban is in place because many are deterred by smoky atmospheres.

However, the commission voted 7-1 Wednesday in favor of a compromise to push back the date on which a smoking ban in Madison would potentially begin, from January 2005 to July 2005.

Jenkins, who works for the Public Health Department, said she hoped the ban would be implemented sooner because the effects of any amount of secondhand smoke are dangerous, and the sooner establishments in Madison are smoke-free the better.

Although the City Council did not need the approval of the Economic Development Commission, Jenkins said it may help pass the ordinance.

“Getting our approval was one step forward,” she said.

Ald. Steve Holtzman, District 19, said the language for the proposed ordinance, of which he has been the biggest promoter, is currently being written. Holtzman met with Ald. Warren Onken, District 3, who has always opposed the regulation, and convinced him to get involved Wednesday.

“He realized it wasn’t a matter of if but when,” Holtzman said.

Holtzman said they settled on some “major points,” and the ordinance should be ready by Friday.

The City Council is expected to vote on the fate of smoke-filled bars at a meeting April 20.