Seiler remains in Madison

Audrey Seiler remained in a Madison hospital Monday awaiting a doctor’s report on her condition.

Seiler, 20, who faked her abduction last week, and her family have hired Minneapolis attorney Randy Hopper to represent her.

Seiler could face felony charges of obstruction if she lied to an officer of the court. She could also face a misdemeanor charge of obstruction if she lied to a police officer. Conklin also said the office of the mayor has not yet received word about whether District Attorney Brian Blanchard will press charges against Seiler.

“The whole case is not complete enough,” she said, adding she is unsure if Blanchard has even received any of the files regarding the case since it is still under investigation.

The cost of the investigation is expected to exceed the initial estimate of $75,000.

“We don’t have an estimate yet,” Conklin said, adding they are expecting the estimate either Tuesday or Wednesday. “It is definitely six figures.”

She said the estimate is not ready yet because some officers are still turning in their overtime slips.

According to The Capital Times, the Seiler family wants the public and the media to know what is going on with the case.

At a press conference Saturday, the Madison Police Department admitted they began investigating the case as a hoax before Seiler was found last Wednesday near the Alliant Energy Center. The department still pursued the case as an abduction after finding Seiler, releasing a sketch of a possible suspect and sending hundreds of officers to search the area in which Seiler was found.

Kamholz would not disclose exactly when the case started to be investigated as a hoax. He also refused to comment as to whether Seiler may have had an accomplice. Seiler was alone when she bought rope, duct tape, a knife and cold medicine, items she said were used to abduct her and which were later found in the marsh where she was found.

An officer on duty Monday night said no information is being released regarding how much longer the investigation would continue.

The investigation drew national attention as UW students and hundreds of family and friends from Seiler’s hometown of Rockford, Minn., came to search for her.