Street-musician complaints a hot topic for vendors

The Vending Oversight Committee held its monthly meeting Wednesday to address concerns and controversial issues regarding local street vendors.

One such issue that arose involved vendor complaints about street musicians, namely the infamous orange-suited “piccolo man” Tom Ryan.

Beth Fatsis, proprietor of Athenian Garden, one of the various food vendors on Library Mall, expressed concern over the matter.

Fatsis explained street musicians do not have to abide by strict regulatory guidelines, even though they are also out to make money.

“There is nothing in the Madison ordinance that regulates the time and location of street musicians,” Fatsis said.

She stated street vendors must compete annually for a location, and they cannot just claim any spot they wish. They must pay the city fees to conduct business in desirable areas.

Street musicians are in a category of their own, Fatsis said, and therefore are exempt from any such regulations.

She said vendors as well as businesses located in the 700 block of State Street are annoyed with the high-pitched shrill of the piccolo.

She also said Ryan has supporters who are merely passers-by who only get limited exposure to his music. She thinks they could easily enjoy his music in alternate locations.

Fatsis highlighted city ordinance MGO 24.02 (1) in her statement, saying, “It shall be unlawful for any person to make or assist in making noise tending to unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet of persons in the vicinity thereof unless the making and continuing of the same cannot be prevented and is necessary for the protection of preservation of property of the health, safety, life or limb of some person.”

City Council president Mike Verveer explained that the musicians are part of what makes State Street unique.

“We just have one bad apple,” Verveer added.

He explained officers are ready to give tickets to those who violate noise ordinances. In fact, Ryan received a violation and went to court last February. He won the case.

Because the issue was only up for discussion, board member Claire Rider suggested they further discuss the issue on the agenda.

Fuong Tran, proprietor of I’m Here vending cart, also came before the board regarding three citations she received last vending season. She received the citations for vending in an unassigned site.

“There are other stands there, and they don’t get tickets,” Tran said. “I am the only one.”

In order to continue to vend Tran must formulate a plan in writing before April 14 that describes her plan to adhere to city ordinances.

“If you want to continue to vend in the city of Madison, Wis., you have to obey the law,” Ald. Cindy Thomas, District 20, said.

At its meeting last night, the City Council voted that during April 15 and Oct. 14, vendors will be given the liberty to move their cart to an unassigned area anytime after 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and after 10:30 pm on weekends.