Cab drivers in questionable condition?

Several cab drivers in Madison have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, but still continue to cart Madison residents around the town.

Regardless of Donald Connery’s two convictions of driving under the influence in the last 15 years, he is still driving for Madison Taxi. Likewise, Michael Marvin, a driver at Badger Cab, also has several convictions such as an OWI.

“[Donald Connery] is a great employee and one of the nicest men you will ever meet,”
Rick Nesvacil, manager of Madison Taxi, said. “He has not had a drink in two years.”

Nesvacil said his 74-year old employee is probably one of the top five drivers in Madison in terms of the revenue he brings in. Out of 20 calls Nesvacil receives, ten of them are compliments going out to Connery.

Nesvacil said to get a job at Madison Taxi, employees must first go through a screening at the FBI. Once that is completed, Nesvacil looks at the driver’s application. He explained if the applicant looks like a potential good driver, he sends the application to the police department and they check the drivers record. Finally, the insurance company must approve the driver.

“If we all think the driver is worth the risk, they get the job,” Nesvacil said. “It’s not just my decision.”

Under city ordinance, a permit should not be granted to a taxi driver who has had convictions of any offense that substantially relate to taxicab or other public passenger vehicle operation.

The ordinance reads, “Such offenses include, but are not limited to, crimes against persons or property or driving a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants or controlled substances.”

Nesvacil said ultimately it is the Madison Police that decide whether or not a driver can be granted a permit.

The department was unavailable for comment.

David Lee, manager of Union Cab, said they would not hire a driver who has ever received an OWI.

“We look at their driving record abstract, but it only goes back five or 10 years,” Lee said. “We also ask them on their application if they have had any types of these convictions.”

Lee said they leave it up to the police department to look at the records past those the company can access.

Both Union Cab and Madison Taxi do random screenings of their drivers to be sure they are not driving while intoxicated.

“We have sent drivers home that we felt should not be driving that day,” said Nesvacil.

Despite the cab companies’ reassurances, University of Wisconsin students, such as freshman Lauren Swegle, are concerned.

“I understand that people make mistakes, but it makes me nervous because I depend on cabs for a safe ride home, and you never know if your driver could be intoxicated or not,” Swegle said.