Madison chief of police officially announces retirement

After much anticipation, Madison Chief of Police Richard Williams officially announced his retirement Monday at a press conference at the Madison Police Department.

“It’s just time to leave,” Williams said.

Williams notified the mayor’s office of his retirement Friday before publicly announcing Saturday night at the Copper Ball, an event held to recognize those recently retired from the department, that he would be retiring as of April 2.

“Overall, there was a general anticipation of his retirement,” Officer Larry Kamholz said. “He has had a tremendous impact on the city. We are sad but supportive of his decision to start another chapter of his life.”

There is mixed sentiment about the departure of Williams. His actions, which continued the tradition of community-oriented policing, such as the implementation of Neighborhood Officers in the Langdon and State Street areas, were praised by many such as City Council President Mike Verveer. However, while his efforts toward maintaining community-based policing were applauded, some of Williams’ actions, or lack of actions, were questioned, especially in recent years.

Verveer said the chief’s visibility was minimal in recent years, adding that a police spokesman often made statements instead of Williams.

Others, such as Ald. Austin King, criticized the publicity Williams received.

“He had a number of high-profile blunders,” King, who is also a member of the Public Safety Review Board, said, referring to such events as the Chief’s trip to Tennessee during the much-anticipated Halloween festivities.

“On behalf of the city, I want to thank Chief Williams for his service,” Mayor Cieslewicz said in a statement Monday. “On his watch, Madison saw the expansion of community-based policing that is responsive to our residents citywide. I wish the Chief well as he enters a new phase in his life.”

Williams said he plans to return to his home state of Tennessee to pursue a career in international policing.

The Police and Fire Commission, a five-member committee appointed by the mayor, will begin a nationwide search for a new police chief while the assistant to the chief, Noble Wray, will be acting chief. According to Verveer, Wray will apply for the position as chief. However, the process of appointing a new chief will most likely take months.