Athlete arrested in assault case

University of Wisconsin football player Dwayne Smith, 19, and Anwar Jones, 22, were arrested Sunday on charges of second-degree sexual assault. The victim is a 19-year-old female, a resident of Madison.

According to the police report, the victim met one of the suspects at an underage drinking party last Saturday. Later that night, after leaving the party, the victim was assaulted in an apartment on the 600 block of N. Frances Street. She has been treated and released from a Madison hospital.

According to Lt. Sue Williams, the lead investigator of the case, the victim was the one who identified the suspects to the police. Both suspects were cooperative in the arrests, according to Williams.

Smith and Jones were in custody until early Monday. Following the bond hearing, Smith was released from jail while Jones remained in custody as of Monday night.

According to a release from the university athletic department, Smith has been indefinitely suspended from the team for violating the Student-Athlete Discipline Policy. Smith is suspended from games and practice unless he chooses to appeal the decision.

Steve Malchow, UW athletics spokesperson, said the university cannot project what will happen next with the case, which means they are not able to take any more action until more information is released or until the status of Smith’s innocence or guilt is changed.

Smith, a sophomore, is the leading rusher for the Badgers. He rushed for nine touchdowns and averaged 65.9 yards a game last season.

Anyone with any information about the case is advised to contact Lt. Williams.