Students give do’s and don’ts for Valentines Day

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, students bustling about State Street took a moment to offer their advice on what to do and what not to do on the special — or for some, not-so-special — day.

While the males of Madison were more than happy to share what to do and what not to do on Valentine’s Day, most of the ladies scurried off without a response, one in tears.

Most students agreed flowers are always something the females enjoy. However, according to juniors Matt Collins and Brett Saltzman, the secret lies in the delivery.

“You have to send flowers to a girl. Don’t deliver them in person,” Collins said. “You have to send them so all the girls can gather around when they come.”

Both agreed that putting too much emphasis on planning on the day can end up ruining the holiday instead.

“No song and dance,” Saltzman said, adding that guys should never give chocolates, although he thinks girls actually like them.

Some students disagreed with the idea of flowers, saying they are overdone.

“Don’t do flowers!” junior C.J. Rutten said. “That is not original.”

Rutten, whom his friends deemed a sensei of love, told his friends to be unique and creative on Valentine’s Day, praising his friend Rick Laoche’s idea of giving his girlfriend a coupon for “one free kiss in public.”

“Remember to focus on the chick,” Rutten offered as his main piece of advice.

Remembering the day seemed to be the biggest setback, for males in particular.

“Do remember to request off work,” sophomore Justin Matney said, adding he will have to celebrate Valentine’s Day with his special lady friend a day early due to poor planning.

“It will be better than last year, though,” he said. Last year, he had to run to Capital Center while his girlfriend was in the bathroom to buy candles and cupcakes because he had not gotten her anything.

“And don’t forget the card,” Matney said.

Most of the girls interviewed said to keep the corniness to a minimum.

“Don’t serenade me,” junior Michelle Taleshik said, adding she once had a bad experience that involved serenading. “And no cards. Cards are dumb.”

Rutten offered one last piece of advice to those with significant others, saying having no plans for the day is no way to make one’s lover swoon.