New virus and Microsoft Windows problems lead to new patches

Microsoft, the world’s largest manufacturer of software, released a new security patch after discovering vulnerabilities in its premier operating system, Windows. All recent releases of Windows are susceptible to hacker attacks, according to Communications Manager of the Division of Information Technology Brian Rust.

Rust said the Windows XP-, NT- and 2000-run computers could be controlled by hackers who know of a weakness built into the system. The hackers would control the personal computers through the Internet, and would be able to view personal information about the user and use programs like e-mail and Internet browsers to assault the Microsoft website.

This loophole for possible hacker attacks has not been exploited, according to Rust. He added to prevent hackers’ ability to assault on computers, users should download a patch available through DoIT’s website at www.doit.wisc.edu/security/tips.asp.

This vulnerability to Microsoft users is a separate issue from the recent MyDoom worm, whose latest variant, “Doomjuice,” was found to be pestering PCs Monday. Rust said students using University of Wisconsin’s Resnet are protected by DoIT’s e-mail filtering devices.

However, students living off-campus do not have Resnet’s protection.

“In campus housing, you’re protected for the most part,” Rust said. “Off-campus, I don’t know what kind of virus filtering they use. I don’t mean to raise the question that [off-campus service providers] are not prepared, I just don’t know.”

Rust added if a virus was sent to any e-mail account through UW’s e-mail service, DoIT will notify the recipient that the virus was found in his or her mailbox.

However, Rust said four machines were taken offline by DoIT, because the computers may still be having issues with the virus that could not be contained at this time. By taking the machines offline, they will no longer send the virus through e-mails.

Rust said, as a general rule, computer users should not open e-mail attachments unless they are coupled with text in the message. Rust added if larger attachments from fellow students, like documents from Microsoft Word (.doc) that could be class notes or the like, are most likely safe, but small attachments could be viruses.

Rust advised computer owners to run an anti-virus program if viruses are suspected and to update the latest virus definitions. A free copy of anti-virus software is available at the DoIT Tech Store or at the link above. Any students with continuing computer problems can call the DoIT help desk at 264-HELP.