Zien defends stance on Personal Protection Act

By Ryan Masse

News Reporter

State Senator David Zien defended the recently voted-down Personal Protection Act Tuesday at a meeting of the UW College Republicans.

During a passionate 20-minute speech, Zien regretted the inability of Wisconsin to allow its citizens the “crucial” right to carry concealed weapons.

“You can’t believe how many people are for this,” said Zien, who co-authored the bill with Rep. Scott Gunderson, R-Union Grove. “Doctors, lawyers, a wide range of citizens support this act. But law-abiding citizens of Wisconsin still are not allowed to protect themselves.”

Zien supported his case by listing examples of violent crimes that could have been lessened or prevented if citizens had the right to carry concealed weapons. He told of a woman in Texas who witnessed the murder of her parents in a restaurant but was unable to protect them due to a state law prohibiting concealed weapons in restaurants.

“No one can argue against this bill with FBI crime data and common sense,” Zien said. “It’s the most critical bill ever. It saves people’s lives and it protects people’s lives.”

The original concealed-carry bill passed both houses of the state Legislature late last year behind bi-partisan support. Gov. Doyle vetoed the bill in January, however, sending it back to the Legislature, where a two-thirds majority was needed to override the veto.

The Senate achieved the sufficient number of votes to override the veto, but the Assembly voted to uphold Doyle’s veto by one vote, ensuring that Wisconsin remains only one of four states prohibiting concealed weapons.

Zien placed the blame for the failure to override Doyle’s veto on the shoulders of Rep. Gary Sherman, D-Port Wing, who consider the key vote in sustaining the veto.

“For the first time in the history of the United States, an NRA member spelled the demise of this type of legislation,” Zien stated, noting Sherman’s affiliation with the pro-gun association. “And for the first time in the history of the United States, a co-sponsor of a bill played an instrumental role in its demise.”

Zien promised he would not stop fighting until Wisconsin citizens have the right to carry concealed weapons. He said after the next election, the Legislature would have enough concealed-carry proponents to override a veto.

College Republicans Chair Frank Harris agreed, saying, “Next session there is a high possibility we’ll have enough people to get the legislation through.”

While devoting the majority of his speech to the Personal Protection Act, Zien also expressed his support for President Bush, proclaiming: “We are at destiny’s doorstep. For the first time in 20 years, we are about to elect a Republican president here in this great state.”

Tony Blodgett, legislative aide of Rep. Jeff Wood, attended the event and said Zien laid out his thoughts concerning Wisconsin’s position as one of four states not to allow concealed weapons.

“We’re behind the times,” he said. “We’re not accountable to our people right now.”