WISPIRG shouts out about high book prices

With an unstable economy and tuition hikes looming over students’ heads, the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group is looking at another component of students’ financial concerns — textbooks.

The student group released a new report Wednesday claiming book publishers are purposely driving up the price of textbooks. The report included recommendations for making book buying more affordable for college students.

Students will spend an average of $898 on textbooks this school year, constituting as much as 20 percent of the tuition fees for in-state tuition, the report says.

“It’s appalling that publishers use gimmicks [to sell] textbooks that we never use in our classes,” said Travis Bird, coordinator of the WISPIRG Affordable Textbook Campaign. “It’s outrageous that students have to pay $40 or more for new books not significantly different than the old edition.”

Bird pointed to tactics such as packaging several books together when only one is required reading as contributing to the increase in prices for students.

Bird also cited publishers’ frequent practice of putting out new, expensive editions that differ little from the books’ used, cheaper counterparts. The publisher Thomson Learning, for example, issues new calculus textbooks with only one or two “cosmetic” changes, forcing students to buy the pricier, newer copies. Additionally, the company overcharges American students by approximately $60 as compared to the prices it charges in Great Britain, he said.

“It’s very unfortunate that we have to be asking the question, what does Thompson Learning have against American students?” Bird said.

Students, however, are not the only ones worried about the price of books. University officials say they are paying attention to the rising costs and hope to address the issue soon.

“Costs are going up,” UW Vice Chancellor Paul Barrows said. “Faculty are concerned. The administration is concerned.”

Barrows noted the burdens these costs place on lower-income and financially struggling students.

The WISPIRG report offered several solutions to lower textbook costs. For example, they called for an end to unfair tactics used by publishing companies that increase the cost of textbooks.

Online shopping and book rental options were also proposed solutions. One student at the press conference said she spent only $70 on textbooks for an entire semester when she was a student at UW-Stevens Point because of the school’s rental system. As a student at UW-Madison, however, she is forced to spend hundreds of dollars each semester on books.

The report encouraged faculty to be aware of the burden textbook prices place on students and make adjustments to their coursework if possible to keep costs low without sacrificing the quality of education.

“The quality of education is always the top priority,” Bird said.

UW math professor Joel Robbin, however, said professors are not under any pressure to lower the prices for their course reading.

“I don’t see much incentive to a faculty member to consider the price,” Robbin said.