Students rally behind presidential hopefuls

Although the 2004 presidential elections are months away, many students at the University of Wisconsin are already backing a candidate and helping run a grassroots campaign in Madison.

The campaigns become increasingly important as the race heats up and primaries put more delegates behind a candidate.

The second state to hold a caucus or primary is New Hampshire, and students are using their resources and time to help their respective candidates surge ahead in the polls.

Amy Schultz, a UW junior supporting Gen. Wesley Clark in his race for the Democratic nomination, is on her way to the East Coast to help Clark’s campaign in New Hampshire. Schultz is going as a representative of the UW chapter of students supporting the general’s bid, called Badgers for Clark. Schultz said she is probably going against the best wishes of her parents and professors but said this opportunity might only come once in a lifetime.

“I think college is the only time [I] can drop everything and go [campaign in a different state],” Schultz said.

Schultz will meet other students from all over the country, including such higher-education institutions as Harvard University, John Hopkins University and the University of Montana. She met these students while volunteering for Clark in the Iowa caucus.

Clark’s supporters are not the only people getting in on the action. Supporters for Congressman Dennis Kucinich and Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., are also lending their aid to these candidates’ causes.

Students for Kucinich supporter Daniel Casanova, a UW senior, said their supporters have been making phone calls to undecided Democrats in New Hampshire. Casanova, who has placed a few calls himself, said the contributions are helpful.

Students for Kerry co-chair Don Eggert also said UW’s Kerry supporters have been making phone calls to New Hampshire and many Democrats have narrowed their choice down to two candidates. Most of the phone discussion revolves around trying to help the voter decide which candidate would best fit their ideals, he said.

“We talk (to the voter) about any issues important to talk about …We tell them facts about Kerry …and what he has stood up for in the past, and try to get out the vote,” Eggert said.

Though Students for Dean and Students for Edwards representatives do not witness any active campaigning strides for their respective choices, they feel local campaigning in Madison is active, and the groups are eagerly seeking volunteers, whom all groups consider an integral part of the election process.

“Students make a huge difference,” Eggert said. “There is no substitute for a good volunteer.”

UW student Shira Roza, the student coordinator for Students for Dean, said her social life has suffered since taking an active role in the campaign, but she feels it is well worth the cause of working to get her candidate elected.

All groups said their respective campaigns will change after New Hampshire. They feel the campaigns will pick up momentum as they head into more populous primaries.

The Democratic candidates are now narrowed down to Gen. Wesley Clark, Rep. Kucinich (Ohio), Sen. Kerry (Mass.), Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, Rev. Al Sharpton, Sen. John Edwards (N. Carolina) and Sen. Joe Lieberman (Conn.).