ASM requests larger budget from SSFC

The Student Services Finance Committee met to discuss the Associated Students of Madison internal budget Wednesday night. ASM requested $677,100 to run its operations for the 2004-’05 fiscal year. The current working budget for the 2003-’04 year is $567,256.

Most time during the meeting was spent on the argument of issues specialists, individuals hired by ASM to have a non-voting spot at the table in order to foster conversations and the interests of diverse groups on campus. Currently, there are five issues specialists on campus, with examples being the women’s liaison and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender liaisons. Several members of SSFC thought some of these specialists posed a duplication of services already provided student organizations funded by segregated fees, like the Campus Women’s Center or LGBT Campus Center.

These cuts did not pass. However, representative Pete McCabe proposed to amend the budget to hold 10 previously unanticipated specialist positions and prepares to add more at the next SSFC meeting Monday night. One such position includes a male non-student-of-color representative. The first 10 were passed to the original budget of $3,374 salary per specialist, bringing the total number of specialists up to 16 currently up for approval.

McCabe and amendment supporter Rep. Lindsey Ourada said the additions were made to show that some diverse groups already had representation on ASM and the state-required diversity committee. Ourada did say she is conscious of the sensitivity of diversity issues, adding in a phone interview that this was not racially or sexually motivated, but to make a statement of doubling up on services. She also added that if a group did not feel represented, then individuals should vote in order to have their voices heard.

The meeting lost the required amount of people to vote on further measures, so final approval by SSFC is delayed until Monday’s meeting.