Tyson workers reject contract deals

After more than 450 workers at the Tyson Foods Jefferson plant walked out from work last Feb. 28, picketers, union workers and company officials have been working to meet a pleasing compromise for all involved. But after nearly 11 months, contract strikers again failed to accept Tyson’s latest offer last week, which the company dubbed its “last, best and final offer,” the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

The decision to reject the contract, which offered improved health-care benefits, overtime pay and increases in starting wages, was met with a 242-74 vote.

A failure to secure all job positions and the absence of an allowance for a simultaneous return to work for all strikers, along with health and pension issues, were the main reasons workers declined to agree with the contract.

It was not until last month that company and union officials, such as the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 538, met to discuss the matter.

Tyson companies in other regions, however, expressed a desire to mend the rift between the company and its employees. For example, the company located in Springdale, Ark., said it wished to bring the wages and benefits of Jefferson employees in line with those of other employees in the region.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, striking and picketing was sparked when Tyson Foods, which is the world’s biggest beef, chicken and pork provider, looked to pursue various moves employees felt unjust. Such moves were to include a multi-year salary freeze, diminished pay for new workers, cuts in vacation time, removal of a profit-sharing plan, increases in health-care coverage expenses, and reductions in sick leave and pensions. The plant in Jefferson is responsible for the production of meat-processed items and pepperoni.

In order to deal with the widespread absence of employees, replacement workers were brought in from other nationwide company locations such as Arkansas.