Bob Welch builds ‘American Dream’

Wisconsin State Senator Bob Welch gave a speech to students Tuesday night at the UW Madison College Republicans meeting. About 50 students attended the meeting, most of whom were Republicans.

Welch, who has been a state senator since 1995, explained his ambition to change the world by achieving the American dream.

“I believe very strongly in American dream,” Welch said. “There are tremendous chances to be successful, and I am not afraid of failing.”

Welch said he started his political career because of a family belief in the American dream.

“I am the fourth generation of the family and all of them are entrepreneurs,” Welch said.

Welch started his business when he was 23. He said this helped him to achieve the American dream, which is “having freedom to do what you want.”

During his 19 years serving in the office, Welch said he did not change with what he believed, and he hopes that by being elected a U.S. Senator, he can change the Senate and also the world.

“Things have been done in Washington D.C., but by adding one senator who believes in American dreams, we can change what happens in the world,” Welch explains. “More progress needed to be made.”

Welch said the U.S. government should lower the tax rate to make the nation more competitive.

“Wisconsin’s tax rate is too high, it is the third highest taxed state in the union,” Welch said. “This is not a good place to start business.”

Therefore, Welch suggests lowering tax rates, which is what President Bush is trying to do.

Welch also said the American dream is for everyone, not just for Americans. He told a story about the independency of the Soviet Union. A Russian man came to him and thanked him during his visit to Russia in December 1991.

Welch agreed with Bush’s decision to invade Iraq and said the decision has been effective in defeating terrorists worldwide.

“I am very proud of what our President did in the war,” Welch said. “We have liberated the country; it is a great thing. We should be proud of it.”

Welch also added that he appreciated President Bush’s visit to Iraq during Thanksgiving.

“If I [were in his shoes] and I had a choice, I will be with my family,” Welch said. “But it is the right thing to show a right thing to show supports and appreciation to the troops.”

Valarie Buchholc, a freshman at the University of Wisconsin, attended the talk for semi-personal reasons. Buchholc is from Wautoma, where Welch lives, and she went to high school with his daughter.
“I am a netural person while talking about politics, but I came to the meeting because I think Welch is a very nice man,” Buchholc said.