To expand, go east

The University of Wisconsin plans a facelift for the east end of campus that will include additional student housing, a new University Health Services tower and a building that could be used as a visitors’ center.

UW Associate Vice Chancellor Al Fish gave a presentation laying out a plan that would change the appearance of the campus over the course of the next 15 years. Fish gave the production during Thursday’s Campus Planning Committee meeting, adding that Ogg Hall, the George L. Mosse Humanities Building, and the Peterson Administration Building would be demolished.

“I usually don’t say demolish, but it’s so much fun with the Humanities Building,” Fish said regarding the building’s reputation for awkward appearance and difficult repair.

Ogg Hall would also be torn down due to difficulty to repair or renovate, but it will also make way for some green space that will complement both the new southeast dormitory area and a pedestrian mall that will extend from Lake Mendota to Regent Street, described as a unifying design feature and the spine to the new developments.

Mike Verveer, City Council president and member of the Joint Southeast Campus Planning Committee, is optimistic of the new developments on campus and also the increase of lawns on UW property.

“I appreciate the university’s commitment to green space,” Verveer said, adding that he will not miss the ugly Ogg Hall and Humanities Building.

The project will be done in several phases, and a firm number for the entire cost of the project cannot yet be ascertained. Fish said the uncertainty of the amount needed for several parts of the plan is due to the fact UW must obtain several parcels of property, and the price of some of those properties could fluctuate before UW is ready to try to acquire them.

The first phase of the plan includes a development where the University Square retail center currently stands, an addition to the Elvehjem Museum of Art, and a development on North Park Street on private property, including a possible visitors’ center, parking, and business offices, along with some housing for students. Though the initial construction of the facility near Regent and Park streets is not yet concrete, the tentative leasing for the public-private development is $2.5 million.

The University Square development would include two floors of underground parking, two floors of retail, and two floors of academic space. Two towers would be included in the development, including one for student housing and the other for student services, such as the Bursar’s office and University Health Services. Funding for the complex will come from state money, a developer, UW internal budget, and money from students’ segregated fees under a referendum that passed, allowing the student tax to be used solely for the student-services section.

Unfortunately, the plan will require some departments to move around, but Fish believes the end result will greatly benefit UW.

The plan will put emphasis on the humanities district, placing special importance on music instruction and the arts.

UW Chancellor John Wiley has had the idea of revamping the downtown campus area for several years. Verveer said Wiley and UW officials have been in contact with City Hall about the proposed remodeling project.

“Wiley has been in consultation with city officials for quite some time,” Verveer said. “I appreciate very much that he considers the issues of City Hall.”

Verveer concluded the plan is overall an “awesome plan” and that Wiley’s plan is “very bold and ambitious.”