Marriage bill passes Senate

The Wisconsin State Senate voted 22 to 10 Wednesday in favor of a bill that redefines the state’s marriage law as between “one man and one woman.”

The bill, introduced jointly by state Rep. Mark Gundrum, R-New Berlin, and Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, also states that Wisconsin will not recognize any same-sex unions, regardless of where the marriage was contracted.

Jolene Churchill, Gundrum’s spokesperson, said the senator aimed to “reinforce marriage, not reinvent it.”

The Family Research Institute of Wisconsin, a statewide organization that works to promote and defend what it calls traditional marriages, praised the Senate’s decision.

“The citizens of this great state know that if one man, one woman marriages and the families they form are strong, Wisconsin will be strong and vice versa,” Institute executive director Julianne Appling said. “The citizens spoke, and the senators listened. That’s how our government is supposed to work.”

Opponents of the bill say it is discriminatory against gays and lesbians by banning civil marriage equality.

“Legally speaking, AB 475 does nothing but restates current law, which defines marriage as between husband and wife,” Action Wisconsin President Tom O’Brian said. “The legislation does accomplish a key part of the far-right agenda: it further stigmatizes lesbian and gay couples and their children who want and need access to the hundreds of rights and responsibilities of civil marriage.”

Allowing same-sex marriages and providing domestic-partner benefits for gay and lesbian couples has been an explosive issue in many states across the nation. Vermont enacted a law in 2000 recognizing “civil unions” between same-sex couples. The law provided those couples all the legal benefits of marriage.

This alarmed many state legislatures, which responded by proposing so-called “defense of marriage” acts specifying marriage as a contract between a man and a woman. Churchill said about 37 states have similar laws to the bill currently pending in Wisconsin Legislature.

“In the face of motive-judging and blatant attempts to re-characterize the bill, Sen. Fitzgerald did a great job of showing why defense of marriage legislation is needed in Wisconsin,” Appling said. “By pointing out situations in other states where judges are poised to redefine marriage, he vividly demonstrated the necessity and the urgency of the bill.”

In a statement earlier this week, Gov. Jim Doyle disagreed, calling the bill’s effort “redundant.” He criticized the Senate and Assembly for its lack of priorities on the agenda and requested they focus more on economic development.

“Unfortunately the Republican legislative leadership seems more interested in playing political games or passing bills that have nothing to do with creating jobs,” Doyle said.

The bill will now be sent to the governor. Doyle said in previous statements that the bill is unnecessary, and he is expected to veto it.