Concealed-Carry legislation passed by Assembly

After a long and heated debate, the Wisconsin State Assembly passed the concealed-carry legislation 64 to 35 early Thursday morning. The bill, which left the Republican-led Senate last month, was approved by a bipartisan majority.

This legislation would allow citizens with a clean criminal record to apply for a concealed weapons permit. Before being issued the permit, applicants must complete a 22-hour firearm-training course.

“I’m supportive of this bill because it gives back to me the legal right to protect myself,” Sen. Cathy Stepp, R-Sturtevant, previously said about the measure. “The law gives back to us, as legal, law-abiding citizens, the right to protect ourselves when feeling threatened.”

During the Senate’s debate over the measure, changes were made to allow certain places to prohibit the presence of concealed weapons on their premises, including schools, university buildings, churches and courthouses.

The Assembly continued to discuss these exemptions when the bill was on the floor. State Rep. Gregg Underheim, R-Oshkosh, unsuccessfully sought to remove one of the most problematic provisions in the bill that states that business owners be required to post notices outside their store as well as “personally and orally” notify customers that concealed weapons are not allowed. After extensive debate, the provision passed.

The bill is now ready for Gov. Jim Doyle’s signature, but the governor has pledged not to sign the bill into law. The legislature will likely be able to override this veto. The 99-member Assembly would need to find two more votes in favor of the bill to meet the required two-thirds majority to undue a veto.

“People should have the ability to protect themselves, and I don’t think 45 other states can be wrong,” said Assembly Speaker Republican John Gard, R-Peshtigo.

Gard referred to similar laws that are in place in many other states who report that there has not been an increase in crime with the implementation of a concealed-carry law.

Opponents of the proposal, however, argued that putting more weapons in circulation would lead to more accidents and cause guns to land in the wrong hands.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz appeared at a press conference at the State Capitol during the bill’s debate Wednesday to speak against what he called “the most irresponsible, most ludicrous piece of legislation I have seen in 20 years.”

He explained how police would have a more difficult time doing their job if a suspect carries a concealed handgun and gave the example of their delayed action in clearing the mob on State Street during Saturday’s Halloween celebration. Cieslewicz said the delay could have contributed to the extent of property damage that resulted in the riot.

If made into law, Wisconsin would be the 46th state to allow its residents the ability to carry a concealed weapon. Colorado, New Mexico and Minnesota have all enacted concealed weapons laws this year.