Senate passes concealed-carry legislation

The Wisconsin state Senate passed the concealed-carry legislation by a 24 to 8 vote Friday, which marks the first time in 130 years that the state will allow residents to carry concealed weapons.

The Senate sorted through dozens of Democratic amendments to the bill that would have strictly limited where these weapons could be carried.

Republicans argued that the proposed law is already one of the most restrictive in the country.

“Today is a momentous day for freedom-loving citizens all over this great state,” Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, said. “We have worked long and hard for the right of personal protection, and this [is the] first time in history this bill has passed the Senate.”

Supporters of SB 214 said the bill puts Wisconsin on par with 45 other states that have similar concealed-carry laws that allow “law-abiding” citizens to protect themselves, adding that the measure will actually cause crime rates in the state to drop.

Opponents, however, said carrying guns would cause more danger.

“Citizens have the right to protect their homes and businesses. But I do not see how bringing concealed weapons to a daycare center or being armed at Sunday church services makes us safer,” Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton and Senate Democratic leader, said. “Republicans need to stop following the bidding of their NRA masters and start acting in the public’s interest and not their own.”

After changes and amendments, the bill says concealed weapons would be prohibited at taverns but not at restaurants. Public employers would also be forced to let employees bring concealed weapons to work, but they would not be prohibited in state-, county- or city-owned buildings. The bill also permits concealed-weapon licenses issued in other states to be valid in Wisconsin.

The bill, however, was changed to allow the University of Wisconsin System to prohibit concealed weapons on campuses.

These changes were not enough for Senate Democrats. Erpenbach criticized the law, saying it is a reckless infringement on public safety and an undue financial burden on local law enforcement and taxpayers.

“The state Supreme Court recently ruled that Wisconsin’s constitutional right to keep and bear arms allows residents to keep concealed weapons in their homes and businesses for personal security reasons.” Erpenbach said.

“But instead of passing legislation to put that ruling into law, Republican leaders rammed through a flawed bill that does nothing to protect the safety of the average citizen.”

The bill, adopted on a bipartisan vote, including six Democratic votes, now goes to the Republican-led Assembly, where it is expected to pass by a similar margin.

If it passes the Assembly, it must be signed by Gov. Jim Doyle to become law. However, Doyle has publicly said he will veto the measure, setting up an override fight.

“The 24 to 8 vote ensures that we have more than enough votes to override any possible veto,” Zien said.