SSFC gives MEChA and ALPs the amount they asked for

The Student Services Finance Committee approved the student organization El Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan’s (MEChA) proposed budget for the 2004-05 school year in a 9-0-1 decision Monday. The decision was made in a matter of minutes with virtually no argument.

This came as a shock to many who anticipated some of last year’s drama.

“I was expecting there to be madness,” SSFC Representative Joel Giffin said. “But it went really smoothly.”

Last year MEChA was originally denied funding for their organization by the Associated Students of Madison because the groups recruitment practices were in question and were perceived to be in violation of University of Wisconsin system rules. After being reviewed by university administration, it was found that no UW systems rules were violated regarding student recruitment and retention.

UW Chancellor John Wiley overturned the ASM ruling, which then granted the group funding eligibility. At Monday’s meeting, the group was granted their proposed budget of $51,704. This amount has increased from MEChA’s current budget of $40,521.

MEChA representative, Gerardo Mancilla stated that the group was extremely happy with the decision, as they had not expected to receive the amount they requested.

“I am really happy with the proposal,” Mancilla said. “When we were doing the budget we were really careful to make sure everything we were asking for was something that we needed. I think that is what they saw that they really liked about the budget. Since reading in the newspaper about the cuts I was scared that they were going to cut some [items].”

SSFC representative Chris Corliss concurred that MEChA had efficiently pruned its budget requests.

“Their budget was extremely well put together,” Representative Chris Corliss said. “This was apparent to just about everyone on the committee.”

Giffin added that because of last year’s incidence, the group was more aware of what they had to do and came prepared with an acceptable budget and made good arguments for all their points.

The finance committee also approved the Campus Women’s Center’s budget of $71,465, at Monday’s meeting, up from $65,865 last year.

Two groups also had hearings for their respective budget proposals approvals to be amended or denied at the next SSFC meeting on Wednesday. Sex Out Loud and Adventure Learning Programs requested funding from students’ segregated fees at Monday’s meeting.

“They were very good proposals,” SSFC member Peter McCabe said, adding that few questions were asked at Monday’s meeting due to their well put together budget.