Bed bugs crawling back to light

Warning: This article may cause excessive itching.

The old saying “Sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite” may be more pertinent now that bed bugs are becoming more common throughout the United States. Not since the pesticide DDT virtually eradicated the pesky insects in the 1940s has the nation seen such a nasty infestation of bed bugs.

A survey by the Orkin Company found that bed bug reports to Orkin increased 300 percent between 2000 and 2001. Orkin’s bed bug confrontations increased 70 percent between 2001 and 2002 and 70 percent from 2002 to 2003.

University of Wisconsin distinguished faculty associate and entomology expert Phil Pellitteri said he does not see this problem amounting to epic proportions, however.

“I don’t know that I’d call it epidemic or anything. The real problem is that 10 or 15 years ago, it was highly unusual to see bed bugs ever, but now in comparison, they are a lot more common,” he said.

Bed bugs start out nearly invisible and are less than a quarter of an inch long. After they bite a host and gorge on human blood for nights on end, they turn a deep, mahogany red and can swell to nearly the size of a ladybug.

Experts across the country have cited the lack of strong pesticides as a reason for the recent resurgence of bed bugs nationally.

“Pesticides are a lot weaker now because of safety concerns and regulations. Nowadays, it’s easier to find a pesticide specifically made for certain pests, such as roaches or ants, but it’s much harder to find one that can exterminate less common varieties,” Pellitteri said.

In recent years, Madison residents have found bed bugs to be increasingly problematic at such places as La Ciel and La Ville.

Students who experience problems with bed bugs in these housing complexes were not available for comment, due to legal agreements they were forced to sign upon relocation from the infested apartments.

Authorities at CHT Apartment Rentals said there have been no problems with bed bugs in their properties, and other rental companies in the area have said the same.

“One poor student about five years ago brought in a matchbox full of bed bugs to me for identification,” Pellitteri said. “I was impressed at the number she was able to bring in, and it turned out that there was a nasty infestation.”

Pellitteri also noted the number of calls regarding bed bugs has increased from a mere one to two times a year to two and three times a week in the past few years.

One good thing Pellitteri mentioned was that bed bugs are not carriers of disease like other common pests, such as roaches.

“They are very unique biologically,” Pellitteri said. “Unlike other blood-eating pests, bed bugs have not ever been found to transmit diseases.”

In order to dodge a bed bug infestation, Pellitteri suggested avoiding pre-used furniture or apartments that come fully furnished. Bed bugs are particularly fond of wood furniture, and once an apartment has been infested, the bugs will not go away.

Bed bugs are not able to survive in cold temperatures, so placing the infected furniture or mattress outside for one night during winter months can kill off the bugs entirely.

Pellitteri volunteered his services to students who fear they may have an infestation. Concerned students are asked to bring in examples of the insects, and Pellitteri will then identify them and offer possible solutions to the problem. Pellitteri can be found at the UW’s Insect Diagnostic Lab on Linden Drive.