Internet scams gain police response

A number of recent Internet scam incidents have led Madison police to warn residents about selling items via websites.

Recently, a Madison resident lost an undisclosed amount of money after receiving an authentic looking cashier’s check as payment for an item sold over the internet. The buyer wrote the check for more than the agreed amount and then asked the seller to return the amount the buyer overpaid. The seller sent a check to the buyer without first verifying that the buyer’s check was legitimate. The cashier’s check was later discovered to be fraudulent.

Police said similar scams have been used in Madison recently and are recommending several steps to help residents avoid becoming victimized.

Police are suggesting that individuals should first verify that sufficient funds are in the account the check was issued under. Second, do not return a check to the purchaser unless you are positive of the validity of the request. Third, if there appears to be a discrepancy, contact the website the transaction took place through and ask for help.