Wisconsin approves designs for new quarter

Wisconsin’s commemorative quarter design has been narrowed down to three possible images: a cow, a white-tailed deer and a fur trapper chatting with a Native American.

Wisconsin residents have until Friday to vote on the quarter’s theme, which is intended to celebrate either the state’s agriculture, wildlife, or history, as depicted by the drawings unveiled Monday.

“Our goal was to pick the best theme to represent Wisconsin,” Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions spokeswoman Cheryl Weiss said. “I think that all the themes chosen represent what we want it to represent — the history of Wisconsin.”

Residents can vote for one of the final designs through Friday at www.wdfi.org. The state must submit the winning selection to the U.S. Mint on Sept. 30, and the coin will begin circulation in Oct. 2004.

Choosing the finalists was a lengthy process. The three themes were chosen from 9,608 ideas submitted by Wisconsin residents. Cheeseheads, bratwurst and beer mugs were quickly eliminated.

A 23-member Wisconsin Commemorative Quarter Council, appointed by former Gov. Scott McCallum and reinstated by Gov. Jim Doyle, narrowed the choices down to the top three themes — wildlife, early explorers and agriculture.

The council sent the themes to the U.S. mint to create six original drawings that would fit on the back of a quarter. All of the designs feature the state’s motto — Forward — and none includes an outline of the state, as some of the other state quarters do.

After an online vote, residents chose the best three.

“I was surprised that the Mint rejected some of the other designs,” Madison Coin Club member John Foellmi said. “I thought some truly represented Wisconsin and should have been considered. But overall I’m satisfied.”

The 50 State Quarters Program is a 10-year initiative that began in 1999 to celebrate the history and heritage of the 50 United States in the order in which they ratified the Constitution and joined the Union.

Wisconsin, the 30th state, will be the last quarter honored in 2004. It will follow the release of Michigan, Florida, Texas and Iowa, all to be released in 2004.