Cieslewicz sets aside millions in budget for State Street

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced his preliminary capital budget last Tuesday, which provides funds to finance major downtown improvements including Lisa Link Peace Park, the State Street Redesign Project and a new downtown parking ramp.

Renovations to Peace Park comprise $20,000 of the budget. A committee created by city government has been meeting to shape Peace Park into a more accessible public venue.

The committee recently submitted a plan that would allow the park to accommodate more public events, such as concerts and movies, with the addition of an amphitheatre, stage, public restrooms and green spaces.

“We want the park to have a comfy, neighbourhood feel. We’re hoping to draw more people by giving the park a more inviting atmosphere,” said Ald. Austin King, District 8. “The proposal still needs to go through the city bureaucracy, but I really think this plan has a good chance of being approved.”

While there is only $20,000 set aside for Peace Park in the 2004 budget, Cieslewicz is confident that Peace Park will receive its facelift.

“The mayor really wants to see Peace Park retain its quality of being one of the few green spaces on State Street while giving it the attention it needs to become a friendly gathering spot,” Cieslewicz spokeswoman Melanie Conklin said.

Also included in the budget is money to start the State Street Redesign. There is $3.3 million set aside to revamp the 100 block of State Street with new sidewalks, planters, bus shelters and streetlights.

“We are basically going to be replacing anything on State Street that is city-owned,” said City Council President Mike Verveer, District 4.

Completion of all the State Street renovations is expected to take approximately six years and also includes all side streets within one block of State Street. The money to fund the State Street renovation was received through federal grants that U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin won for Wisconsin.

In response to parking complaints by shoppers and workers downtown, $4 million in Cieslewicz’s budget is set aside for a new parking ramp. Ideally, Cieslewicz would like to build two parking ramps, according to Conklin: one on West Washington Avenue to serve the needs of businesses and offices and one in the State Street area to aid shoppers in their quest for parking.

There are three spots under consideration for a State Street construction site. The first is the Buckeye lot next to Pizzeria Uno, the second on Fairchild across from the Madison Public Library and the Silver Dollar, and the third between the White Horse Inn and the fire station on Henry Street.

A committee meeting is scheduled tentatively for Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. in the Marquee room at the Civic Center to discuss building the ramp at the Buckeye location.

“I am very optimistic and confident that we will be building at least one parking ramp downtown in 2004. All of the downtown improvements should help make the State Street area a more sociable and welcoming place to be,” Verveer said.