Overtime initiative blocked in Senate

Last Wednesday the U.S. Senate voted against the Bush administration’s proposed initiative to change the current overtime distribution law.

Republicans claim the plan would cut 800,000 current employees from overtime while simultaneously extending overtime benefits to more than 1.3 million low-income workers. Democrats, along with organized labor groups, have blasted the plan, saying that the new terms would take money from the pockets of millions of American workers and adversely affect those in managerial positions and the public service sector.

The proposal was blocked by a 54-45 vote in the Senate, leaving the bill’s future in question. Earlier this year the measure was accepted by a narrow margin in the House with a 213-210 vote despite opposition from both sides.

Bush has said that he may veto the Congressional block of the initiative.

Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wisconsin, criticized the plan, claiming it would hurt families already struggling due to the lackluster economy.

“The Administration’s proposed changes would undercut the forty-hour work week for many hard working Americans,” Kohl said. “Workers depend on the money they earn from overtime to help make ends meet. The new rule would have hurt workers at a time when the economy is weak and families are already struggling.”

Currently, a worker who puts in more than 40 hours of work a week must have a minimum salary of $8,060 to be eligible for overtime pay. The new guidelines would raise the minimum for overtime compensation 275 percent to $22,100.

The Congressional block of Bush’s overtime initiative came concordant with legislation proposed by Wisconsin’s Gov. Jim Doyle to increase the state’s minimum wage.

According to Doyle’s office, the plan has already been set in motion. Doyle assigned a Work Force Development Board to review the current minimum wage and take an analysis of the current costs of living.

Following its analysis, the Board will appropriate what it believes to be a sufficient minimum wage. The plan is ultimately to increase income at all levels to keep pace with rising inflation and costs of living.

Doyle stated that an increase is long overdue, as current wages have not risen alongside the cost of living.

A recent survey conducted by the state found that 2.7 million jobs in Wisconsin alone have been lost since June of 2001. Doyle has said that the government will do anything it can to help get these families get back on their feet.