Doyle on the Regents

Doyle on the Regents

By Chris Werner

College Editor

Gov. Jim Doyle is falling in line with other critics of the Board of Regents’ decision to approve salary adjustments for University of Wisconsin System officials, recently expressing dissatisfaction with the Board’s decision.

Doyle criticized the Board of Regents’ judgment in a news conference Wednesday morning.

“In light of the economical crises facing the state and the UW System, the timing for these decisions is not only inopportune, but also inappropriate,” Doyle said.

In addition, Doyle said any further decisions should be delayed until the current fiscal crisis is improved. The governor also expressed concern over the manner in which the board decided the situation, saying that the regents should have held a regular meeting to approve the raises, rather than a telephone conference.

Despite the criticism, Doyle said he recognizes the need to remain economically competitive in relation to other university systems, the basis from which the regents’ decision sprouted. Maintaining strong leaders is a must for the UW System, he said.

In response to Doyle’s criticism, Board of Regents President Toby E. Marcovich maintained that the board made a commitment last year on pay issues within the system.